Rough Roads

Sunrise at North Point Park, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Image via Wikipedia

Come in many forms, seldom having anything to do with the condition of the road surface.

Mile by mile, life rolls on, consistent and refreshing.  Amazing how things seem to just occur at the right moment. 

I have spent the last two weeks feeling trapped in a truck and enjoying very little of it.  It had not a thing to do with where I was going or had been, but with the person I was with.  Some people should not be in a social situation at all.  In my short 44 years, I have met very few people who I could not get along with… until two weeks ago.

My nemesis appeared in the form of an older man with a bitter outlook toward life.  He didn’t look any different than every other person, nor did he at first display his antisocial patterns.  However, it did not take long for me to discover that he was a very unhappy and bitter person in his heart.  One who believed no other had achieved his level of intelligence or experience.  While holding himself at a level far superior than was fact, he stepped on those around him driving them down as best he could. 

I am not one to let people put me down, or try to take from me my own sense of normalcy.  So this matching was one of oil and water and provided for a constant level of strain.  There were a few times I did bite my tongue, holding back the vicious rebuttal that strived so hard for release from my lips.  I played my hand well and waited the opportunity to escape the confines of that truck. 

When my chance came in the form of a very generous fellow trucker, who was kind enough to provide a ride where I needed to go.  I bettered my compatriot by shaking his hand and wishing him well in future endeavors.  Not by attempting to tear him down in order to elevate myself. The next few days were quite pleasant, traveling in peace and quiet, while enjoying the environment around me. 

As they say, all's well that ends well and I sit here very near Lake Michigan, waiting for upgrade and assignment to my truck.  I will even get to see an old friend from class who just happens to be on her way here as we speak.  We’ll be upgrading together, and starting off the adventure to come at the same time.  I’m looking forward to the future, and trying hard to forget the recent past. 

7 comments:

Sandee said...

Toxic folks are just tough to deal with aren't they? Yes they are. I too just got rid of one. A family member no less. Had to let him go. I didn't say anything bad either and that's so very unusual for me. You have much self control. Good for you.

Enjoy your respite with your class friend. :)

Eric S. said...

Indeed they are, and family makes it even harder. The chances of me ever seeing this individual again are very slim. Where as your situation could easily reoccur. I'm sorry these things have to happen, but it's best to put them behind and move forward.

Thanks

AngelBaby said...

It is so hard to deal with negative people especially when you are not that way. I think they are extremely unhappy and they have a very low self esteem so they are miserable. I would not want to be like that at all. It takes a lot less energy to be happy. I think you did very well not to loose your temper or say anything bad. I am really impressed because it is so hard to do.

I came by to wish you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year filled with love, blessings, peace and joy.

Love and Blessings,
AngelBaby

tashabud said...

Oh, how I'd love to just lash out at people like that myself. But just to keep peace at work, I bite my tongue most times.

However, the 12 years I worked at my job, there were 3 occasions that I yelled back at a person yelling at me about something.

Two of those people have been fired since, but not because of me of course. They're just trouble makers to most people at work, very negative about everything, and were very unproductive workers. They gossip, criticise everybody, complain, and make troubles.

Good for you that you were able to get away from that environment. It had to be a miserable situation.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Tasha

cheryl said...

Unfortunately there are times we meet people like him, those who are pizzed at their lot in life and take it out on the innocent. Walk away because nothing you do or say will change their attitude, and you'll be a better person for it :)

Eric, I wish you a very Happy Christmas filled with lots of love and laughter.

Eric S. said...

@ Angelbaby, You are so right, and thanks for the Christmas wishes.

@ Tashabud, I would have loved to been a fly on the wall when you told them off. Thank you also.

@ Cheryl, Thank you kind lady, you are too nice. It sure would be nice to just avoid all negative things.

kkipp said...

How interesting that everyone who commented on this post has had similar experience with nasty negatorios. Yup, they are a burden to society, and to themselves if they'd just open an eye to see it.

Back in my younger days I challenged such folk, tried to open their eyes and hearts . . . youth has such fire and optimism. These days I pick my battles, and am much less willing to spend energy on apparently lost causes . . . sad perhaps for both them and I.

Hugs & love,

Kel

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin