A quick update

Image0047Well, I have my new truck.  She’s a real beauty, and handles the loads quite well.  The best part of all, is that it gives me a certain level of freedom.  I signed for her on Wednesday, and had my first load Thursday night, yep that’s right December 23 rd.  Well needless to say I didn’t exactly make it home for Christmas.  That’s quite alright though for I have had a fun time of it anyway.  To the left here, is a picture of my truck, a brand spanking new 2011 Freightliner Cascadia that only had 1400 miles on it when I Got it.  I even went grocery shopping, and stocked it up so I have plenty of food and water to last me for a while.
Image0053
I spent Christmas eve, in Buffalo New York, sitting patiently at a “Service Plaza” On the Parkway.  I was out of hours, and had to stop for the day.  Christmas Day saw me picking up my second load, and starting a long journey across the upper half of the US.  I started out in Freonia New York, and drove south and west around the lower tip of Lake Erie.  Then through Chicago, and back north around Lake Michigan to Ironwood, Mi..  I spent the day there, thenn headed west through the rural back roads of Wisconsin and Minnesota.  Some really beautiful country if you haven’t been that way before.  I was slightly reminded of the Summit County area in Colorado, with heavy snow and thick forested residential areas.

Image0054Today, I spent in Bismarck North Dakota, and am now sitting fat and happy in Billings Montana.  Both state’s offer some fabulous views, and picturesque countryside.  I was especially impressed with sections of western North Dakota, and most of Montana that I have seen.  I loved watching the sunrise in the mirror, as it lit the snow covered fields and hills in a spectacular reflected glow.  There is just something about a fresh blanket of snow to really reset the mind and spirit.  Not to mention, seeing for miles upon miles of rolling prairie and field, then on into what I would consider hills, not quite mountains yet.

I head off to Idaho next, and then who knows where.  I suspect though, I’ll be heading east and south through Wyoming, Colorado, Oklahoma, and down to Texas.  Only the load planers know for sure, and I won’t find out until I finish this load, all 2300 miles of it.  I wish I had done this a long time ago.  Here’s some more pictures of my baby.

Image0056Image0051

6 comments:

Sandee said...

Your new rig is a beauty indeed. I'm so glad you are enjoying what you are doing. That's so very important. Just be safe.

Have a terrific day and trip to your next location. :)

cheryl said...

Wowzers, you certainly put alot of miles on it first time out! Be careful out there Eric.

kkipp said...

Whew, she's a sweet rig, your Blue Beauty. I look forward to more tales of the trails.

We had a grand Xmas in Cali. My handsome, strong, and bold young son was home from the war in Afghanistan. What a great Xmas present, it was so marvelous to see him, hug him. He's grown into quite an impressive male specimen. 6'3", broad of shoulder, deep chested, deep voiced, but with hands still lean and longer fingered. Strange to see a musician's hands on a soldier.

His step-brother and step-sister spent a goodly deal of time with him, and friends both from his childhood here as well as more recent ones from his Iraq and Afghanistan engagements all made contact and many spent time with him.

I enjoyed cooking for both "my men," -- son and husband -- and enjoyed seeing them forging a new, adult, relationship with each other.

Well, I've blathered along enough for now. Be careful on the road, and always be especially respectful of one-eyed elder gentlemen travelers (Odin one-eye is best left pleased, and then last seen receding in the rear-view mirror).

Hugs,

Kel

tashabud said...

She sure is a real beauty. Now I'd be thinking if that would be you each time I see a truck like that while I'm driving on I-80 or I-25 in Wyoming and Colorado. Tehehe.

Bismarck. Yep, I've been there. Lived 8 years in Minot, just north of Bismarck. If you have more time in the spring through fall while in Montana, make sure to make a trip to the Glacier National Park. It's the most beautiful park I've ever seen so far.

Sounds like you've finally found your calling that you're truly happy with. Take care out there while navigating those wild and brutal driving weather conditions.

Happy New Year! Hope you get to get home in time to be with your sweetie to celebrate.

Eric S. said...

@ Sandee, You are so right, enjoying what you do is so very important. I wish I had done this a long time ago.

@ Cheryl, Yep putting the miles on, but that is how I get paid, so no problem. I always strive to be careful, and safe.

@ Kel, I am so glad to hear the young un is home from the war. Of course he'll probably be hunting me down for calling him the "Young Un". Good you got to spend Christmas with them.

@ Tashabud, you will probably see a lot of these trucks, there are quite a few of them out there. I would have loved to be able to spend a little more time exploring, but this trip was on a time schedule. Perhaps soon though.

Lilly said...

Wow, I should have read this post first. Love your new wheels, and it seems you are having a change of career. It should suit you down to the ground - being on the road and seeing such fantastic sights on the way. I hope 2011 is a big success for you Eric and you keep safe in your travels. And no, I cant imagine driving one of those even though I love being on the road. I have a cousin who has been doing it for most of his life it seems and loves it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin