Visions of The Road

Moonrise I watch through my windshield as the moon rises… while the sun sets in the mirrors.  Two very separate wonders,each visually stunning in its own right.  Two very distinct instances, occurring at the same moment in time.  A brief juncture… a pause in time, I witness as the road whispers, beckoning me to follow.  Where it will take me, I know not.  Yet I feel the anticipation with each mile that slides by.  Miles, marked not by poles or signs, but by esthetic visions of beauty.
Sunset_mirror
The sights, are sometimes hard to describe… so striking, individual, and momentary.  I am privileged to view sunsets from all over the states and it still amazes me.  One day I see the sun rise over the Appalachian mountains, the sunset in Salt Lake City that evening.  A mystically vibrant moon, hanging low over an Arizona Desert mountain, draped with shadows.  The ominous storm shrouded moon of the Wyoming wilderness, seemingly veiled in steamy lace.

I spent the last few weeks, crisscrossing the United States.  Starting from North Carolina, across to Salt lake City, then off to Pennsylvania and Ohio.  We had a brief pause there, just long enough to do our laundry, then we’re rolling again.  Southern California was the next destination, not necessarily of choice.  We had actually been set to visit Colorado, but got sidetracked and had to swap loads.  After a quick visit to Yuma Arizona, we were off once again to the north east, and the area of great lakes.  Anticipating a short run to the south, we were disappointed to find ourselves navigating a winter wonderland in Wyoming and Idaho.  Then finally a fast run south toward the border and home again.  All within the time period of just over a week. 

Needless to say, boring the job is not.  In a little over 7 days, we managed to put more than 8000 miles behind us. I do believe it would have been more, except for the fact we got caught twice by road closures in Wyoming.  Two days it took us to cross Wyoming into Idaho, and back again.  The weather and roads, made me feel very much at home, for it was just like a good old fashioned blizzard in South Park.  My trainer was blessed in that he had two trainees with previous experience who knew how to drive.  I even taught him how to put tire chains on the truck, a feat he had successfully avoided for many years. 

I made it home for Thanksgiving, just barely.  Now I’m once again in classroom training for a few days.  Then I’ll be assigned a phase two driver and have to spend some time making them some money.  Eventually, I will get into my own truck and have a chance to take a breath, perhaps even enjoy some of the scenery I travel through.  I’m still enjoying the ride, and making the best of everything, biding my time until it’s my turn to make the cash.

5 comments:

Sandee said...

Glad all is well and that you made it home for Thanksgiving. That's a big plus.

I like it that you are enjoying all the beauty surrounding you. I didn't doubt that you would.

Have a terrific day. :)

tashabud said...

Enjoyed reading your poetic prose as always.

Am glad also that you made it home for Thanksgiving Day!

Sorry about your reception here at our state of Wyoming. Unfortunately, it's a common occurrence. We, Wyoming's inhabitants, are in cahoots with the weather. We want to make sure that your experience in our state is most memorable, you see? LOL.

I'm like your trainer, I'm hoping that I'll never be in a position to use chains on my tires. I wouldn't know what to do in that case either.

Good luck on your next phase of training. I'm sure you'll graduate with flying colors.

Tasha

The Muse said...

i feel as if i have been transported to an old b&w film of travel...where there is no color, except what the words paint...
ah, your words have done that for me :) delightfully so.

i wish that you are always kept safe in these travels and that cash will be a blessing, a gift,...after the fact :)

Eric S. said...

@ Sandee, Thank you girl. I don't think I could not enjoy the beauty of the country I'm traveling through. It is an interesting life.

@ Tashabud. You are so kind as useual. I sure wish I could have stopped to see you as we went through Wyoming. I will though, you can count on that.

@ The Muse, Thank you. I sure hope the words add color, although scenery viewed in good black and white prints can be beautiful

kkipp said...

Sounds like the road and thee are meant for each other, as you clearly take wealth of vision and peace of mind from the ever-varying vistas.

Brilliant, bravo.

Hugs,

Kel

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin