Dream Big, Step Light, Take It As It Comes

Sunset over old route 66

Image by Todd Ryburn via Flickr

I sure wish starting a new chapter in life, was as easy as sitting down to write one.  Heck, for that matter, wouldn’t it be nice to be able to write your life’s chapters and have it turn out the way you want it to.  Of course that’s not the way life works, so we all have to ante up and play the cards we’re dealt. The gamble come when you have to decide weather to bet, check or fold.  Make dammed sure you don’t hold a poor hand for too darn long, the odds aren’t in your favor.

I have found out one thing during this most recent effort.  Driving jobs are not exactly as easy to come by as they make it sound.  The biggest problem I have right now, is all my driving experience is in the past and evidently it might as well be considered ancient history.  They could care less that I spent years driving tractor trailer in the mountains, over some of the most scenic and dangerous roads around.  The first thing they ask, is “What have you driven in the last five years?”. 

I’ve acclimated my thinking to the fact that I’m going to have to get a local driving job.  Spend some time on the roads down here to gain some of that cherished “current experience”.  I may not get to drive the scenic vistas I dream of, but I can still enjoy the country I do travel through.  The dream is not dead, just put to bed for a little while.  Most important right now, is simply to get a job, and hopefully one that has plenty of work to do.  I’m trying some local companies that deliver to the oil fields and drill rigs, so I’ll still be out in the country a little bit. Luckily I have my tanker endorsement, which is what most of the trucking down here seems to be right now.

I’m sure I can make the most of what ever is handed me.  I think just simply being able to get back on the road, and travel, even if it’s to the same old places day after day, will be inspiration enough.  There is a mesmerizing quality to the open road, that captivates my thoughts, and directs my interest.  I’ll just keep on working to the goal I’ve set for myself, and write the story given me.  One things for sure, I can add all the color and character I want.  All I have to do is write it the way I see it.

There is another dream I have, that I have not told anyone, and I do mean anyone about.  See if you can figure it out.  It has been made quite famous of late, thanks to a certain TV channel, and there is a lot of mountains, snow, Ice and cold weather involved.  I doubt I’ll ever have the opportunity, but one can always dream.  As I always say, dream big, step lightly, take what’s given as it comes, then all you have to do is make the best of it shaping it to suit yourself.

6 comments:

LV said...

That is all any of us can do, take one day at a time and make the best of it. Sometimes, we feel maybe our plate was filled too much, but deep down you find the inner strength to carry on. There is the right job waiting for you. It is not easy, but we must try to be patient and time will take care of things for us.

Eric S. said...

Thanks LV, Your right, it takes patients, and a little fortitude to persevere. Time usually does have a way of working things out.

Thanks for visiting.

tashabud said...

Even if local driving is not your dream job, at least it will get you a step closer to your dream job. I know what you mean about employers always asking for those recent job experiences within the last five years.

I went through the same when I went back to work after 8 years of absence from the work force in order to have my babies until my last baby started Kindergarten.

Several places I've applied at hired the ones with more recent experiences over me. Luckily, a very small clinic wasn't been able to find a Medical Technologist for their small lab at the pay rate it was offering. But, I was willing to start at the lowest of the Totem Pole's paying rate, so long as to get my foot in the door again.

That small clinic had opened lots of doors for me after that, which brought me to my present job, which I find challenging and rewarding, both professionally and financially. I'll always be greatful for the person who hired and took a chance with me.

Good luck and God bless,
Tasha

tashabud said...

Eric, I forgot to guess about your other dream.

Anyway, you dream of competing in that reality show about truck drivers in Alaska and Canada. I don't know the name of the show though. I've just seen bits and pieces of the show. Am I correct?

Those are some very dangerous driving conditions they're in, huh? Can you imagine getting swallowed by the ice as you cross the frozen lakes and oceans? Totally scary.

Tasha

Eric S. said...

Ahh You guessed it Tasha. Well I guess I just gave too good of a hint.

Well, I'll be doing something, I'm not sure what, but I hope it'll be driving. Our work has dried up, and I have been making do on next to nothing so something has to happen. I hope very soon. I've been putting in applications, and dropping off my resume just about everywhere. Trying hard to keep my hopes up.

tashabud said...

Yay! I guessed it right.

Tasha

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin