My New Hobby, My Own Heritage

Census taker visits a family living in a carav...
Image via Wikipedia
I’ve had an interesting weekend.  As most of you know, I did a Sepia Saturday post this weekend, and had so much fun with it.  Going around and seeing all the other people that posted something, and their pictures spurred a desire within me.  I want to get more involved in tracking down my heritage, and seeing where all my ancestors came from. 

Now for quite some time, I have had a passing interest, nothing too serious.  Every once in awhile, I would get the urge, and talk with my sister and mother about it.  Both have done extensive research and found a number of links.  Mother had visited Novia Scotia, and gotten many of the census records, and birth and death records for the area we hail from.  She had sent me copies of all of them at one time, but to be honest, the overwhelming amount of information scared me a little.  It boggles the mind how well, and simply, they kept records back then.

Much of this information was compiled by a person researching another family, that just happened to tie into ours at my Great Grandmother.  Mother received that information after her trip to Novia Scotia.  It was funny, because when she visited the hall of records, or what ever it is they have, she told them the name of my Great Grandmother, and the person said “Yes and she married _______ of Pugwash Novia Scotia”.  Mother was taken back because the information was completely accurate to what she already knew.  It turned out this person had quite a bit of family information, and forwarded it to Mother. 

After this Saturday, I dug all of that stuff out again, and started really trying to make sense of it.  The problem I was having, was that seeing everything in different records with little connection between them, made things very difficult to follow.  I needed some way to make it visual, something easy to set up, and that I could invite other members of the family to visit and add what information they have.  I found MyHeritage.com, a FREE site that works very much like the MyAncestry .com.  It’s very simple to navigate and use, so before long I had made serious progress in entering what information I had.  As of right now, I have 75 of my relatives, close and distant, listed.  All the way back to 1815 in New Brunswick.  The nice thing is it’s all in a visual form like a family tree, and your notified if there is comparative information in another persons tree.  Then you can contact them to follow up the possible ties.  I have found a number of them already, and I’m just getting started.

I have much more to do, so far we can trace parts of the family back to 1760, where trail ends somewhat abruptly.  The Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather was a “foundling” left on the hospital steps, at an estimated age of 1 month old, in Shrewsbury, England 1760.  So technically that particular family name is not even accurate, there was no way to find his real name.  All of this is just on one side of the family, just one little branch of one side.

I think by the time I’m done, I’ll have enough to write a pretty comprehensive history of my family lineage.  It’s amazing what get’s my juices flowing some times, and believe me, this is just what I needed.

Any of the family out there that has records or information, please send me copies.  I would love to get more pictures too, there are not enough yet in my collection.





5 comments:

Sandee said...

Way cool. I'll watch your progress with your family tree. I know so little about my family.

Have a terrific day. :)

Kat said...

Eric, as someone who has only relatively recently got involved in the search, I can tell you it can be fun, frustrating and incredibly addictive! Good luck and keep us posted.

Kat

Eric S. said...

@ Sandee, Yep it sure is cool. I have been having so much fun. With just a few entries, I found information that now takes us back to 1855.

@ Kat, I'm finding that out. It is a lot of fun, and the amount of information can be very frustrating and overwhelming.

tashabud said...

I wish I have a way of doing that also. Unfortunately, the Philippines didn't keep very good records. And whatever records done, most were destroyed during the war.

I'll be following your progress.

Tasha

Eric S. said...

Hey Tasha, I imagine that would be difficult. I'm sure having fun with this, finding more and more information every day.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin