KABOOM, The Book

For anyone who has read my blog from way back when, they well know I was a huge fan of Kaboom: A Soldiers War Journal.  A blog by a soldier stationed in Iraq “embracing the suck” as he said.  Lt. G. (Matt Gallagher) , the author of said blog, a creative and entertaining writer, told the story of his deployment with a hint of cynicism, sarcasm, humor, and boat loads of reality.  Kaboom was ordered shut down by Lt G.’s superiors when he posted a not so flattering description of an encounter with a “POG (people other than Grunts) staff officer” within his chain of command.   An untimely end to a timely and authentic blog. 

Matt Gallagher has finally published his book, Kaboom: Embracing the Suck in a Savage Little War, I Ordered the book just last weekend after checking Matt’s original web site, and finding out he is back in civilian life, and blogging at a new site, Kerplunk, From Baghdad to Brooklyn.  It arrived on Tuesday, and I read it cover to cover over the period of 3 evenings, after work.  A wonderful collection of stories from his deployment, told in that unique voice from his blog, so familiar to me.  I especially enjoyed the part where he explained what prompted his fated and flamboyant post “The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide is Press Coverage” along with the military-political backlash that resulted.  Funny that “press coverage” was part and parcel of the title, for the incident received plenty of it.

Matt tells it like it is within our modern military, Power Point Presentations and all.  You’ll feel the disdain with which the grunts, the guys with boots on the ground stirring up dust, view the POG’s – REMF’s – FOBBIT’s, chair warming higher echelon, who tempt fate when they try to micromanage or direct the prosecution of daily routine. An enjoyable and entertaining read, well worth the time and money.

8 comments:

dallyshawn said...

Man this summer I'm gonna have to read it since I won't have anything else to do but read.

tashabud said...

Hi Eric,
This is not my normal genre of books to read, but it sounds interesting, so I'm giving it a shot and put it down on my birthday/Christmas wish list.

The video ad for it is impressive.

Have a great Sunday,
Tasha

FranciscoL_Swaney0806 said...

pleasure to find such a good artical! please keep update!!

kkipp said...

Great book review Bro! Think Dominic would be interested? I've certainly heard him refer to himself as a grunt, and have read the POG designation in emails he's sent.

Hugs,

Kel

Vixen/Apron Frenzy said...

I am going to have to order the book, as I was a reader of his blog before he had to shut it down.

soulMerlin said...

Hi Eric ~ Really interesting. Your blog and writing are really stunning

xh

The Muse said...

Certainly will have to check this out Eric!
Glad to see you on FB.
Hope that your 4th was grand!

kkipp said...

I just finished a good book, in the same genre: "The Unforgiving Minute," by Craig Mullaney. It was fascinating reading, and I'll pass it on to Dom in the next box to Afghanistan. Though I cannot genuinely experience what he is exposed to over there, going through over there, this at least let's me gain some understanding of the challenges from the perspective of someone serving in the army there.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin