Wowie; Free Books, to Free Your Mind

The site of Henry David Thoreau's cabin marked...

Image via Wikipedia

I am going to have to apologize once again.   I have let my blog reading slip just a little today.  I am such a fan of reading good books, and I just recently rediscovered a phenomenal resource for reading all kinds of books.  This is an online source of e-books, that I previously  used regularly.  The site had gone down for some time, with the purpose of redesigning.  It is back up again, and better than ever.  What?  Ohh the site I’m talking about is Wowio

 

I think of  Wowio, as an online library more than anything else.  Of course you can download an E-Book, and it will cost anywhere from  $0.99 to $16.99.  The best part is, you can also read these same E-Books online for free.  I love the service, and in the past I had downloaded close to 50 books from them.  Many of my downloads were classic literature, or works on philosophy or nature and outdoors (who would have guessed that one). 

 

I find the new site, very familiar, with the same basic layout and color scheme.  What changed, is the speed and organization, it is much faster than before.  It also seems that they have a larger selection than was available before, of course many of them now cost to download, but what should we expect.  You can still read the books online through their store for free, there isn’t even a membership fee.  There are plenty of the books, free of cost to download, they call them gifts from their sponsors.

 

What brought me back to Wowio, was a search for the writings of  Henry David Thoreau.  I am currently reading “Walden” online.  Of course, I feel right at home with his writings.  I also downloaded a free book that caught my attention, Notes From Underground, by Fyodor Dostoevsky.  I’ll let you know what I think about it.

 

In the mean time, take a few minutes, go over and set up an account, all you need is an email address and password, no money.  Then read to your hearts content. 

Enhanced by Zemanta

17 comments:

Cloudia said...

You and Walden were made for each other!!!

Aloha- 8-)

jan geronimo said...

Wow, free online reading. This site you feature will be a lot of help for me. I'm a reader in need of the classics, too. Thanks a lot. I'd be checking out Wowio. :)

Jena Isle said...

That's great. Thanks for sharing Eric. Cheers. :)

Kel said...

I'll be interested to see what you think of Dostoevsky.

Meanwhile, I'm just tickled pink to see some new stuff here . . . I missed me Wee Bro's postings.

Hugs,

Kel :-P

Guest said...

Thanks Cloudia, I am finding myself immersed if Thoreau's writings. He is definitely my kind of wanderer. 8-)

Guest said...

Thanks Cloudia, I am finding myself immersed in his writing. Thoreau is definitely my kind of wanderer. 8-)

Eric S. said...

Hey Jan, you'll love the site. There are many selection that are free to download. But you can also read others on-line, Shakespeare, Edgar Allen Poe, and many others. ;)

Eric S. said...

My pleasure Jena. ;)

Eric S. said...

LOL, Kel you knew I would find some way to continue. I'll let you know what I think about Dostoevsky. The title is what captured my imagination. :-D

Allison said...

About 2 1/2 years ago I was an avid Wowio user. Blogging I suppose and other things started taking over. Thanks for reminding me of Wowio, I always was a fan. Can't wait to check out the "new wowio"
Thanks

Jena Isle said...

Hi Eric,

Have you read this? It is from Tasha's blog:

http://tashabud.blogspot.com/2009/07/top-10-emerging-influential-blogs-for.html

More power and all the best. :)

Eric S. said...

Your welcome Allison, I know I spend far too much time over there. ;)

Eric S. said...

Hey Jena, yes I picked up on it off your tweet's. I left a comment, but it disappeared, so I went back and redid one. Tasha is too kind, she is just a saint. :) 8-)

Kel said...

Have you read Thoreau's "Civil Disobediance?" If not, I'd urge it on you . . . Hugs.

Kel said...

Okay, okay . . . please forgive . . . but I can't help myself: There's a longer standing, well established, haven for book lovers, that has "free books"---your local library!!!!!
;)

Eric S. said...

:-D :-D ;)I know, I know, but I don't have to go anywhere for this. LOL. 8-)

Eric S. said...

It's on the list, I've been reading a lot about Thoreau, and have downloaded some of his journals from another site. Fascinating writing.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin