July is The Wife’s Birthday Month

City Hall and fire station w:Ouray, Colorado, USA

Image via Wikipedia

Blinda’s birthday is coming up once again, although I’m sure she doesn’t want to be reminded.  This year, I’m afraid there won’t be much of a celebration. I’ll get her some flowers and a card, maybe take her out to eat.  I used to go all out on her birthdays, and it was so much fun.  Of course we had the money to do that back then. 

 

One year, I was very sneaky and arranged with her boss for a few days off.  I didn’t tell her about it, just set everything up.  The morning of her birthday, I woke her up with breakfast in bed, nothing fancy, just some bacon and eggs.  After she finished, I told her she needed to hurry up and get ready, we were leaving soon.  Blinda looked at me, and said “I have to work this afternoon”.  I told her not to worry, I had already arranged it with her boss, and that we were taking a little trip. 

 

We started off with no real destination in mind, just driving.  Eventually we ended up in Ouray, Co.  I had been there a number of times, but she never had.  I convinced her to take a Jeep tour with me, and see some of the off road sites.  I had never been able to get her to go four wheeling with me before, and was surprised when after the tour, she suggested we rent a jeep, and spend the next couple of days exploring.

We spent two days, four wheeling, nothing extreme, but enjoyable all the same.  Of course as the good tourists we were, we stopped and purchased one of those disposable panoramic cameras.  There is simply too much beauty in the mountains of Ouray to not have some good pictures as a reminder.  July is a great month to visit the Mountains, the wild flowers are usually in full bloom.

We got to see Bridal Vail Falls, truly a sight to behold.  I tried to find some of the better pictures of it, but didn’t have much luck.   I know we have them, it’s just a mater of where.  I was looking for the panoramic that took in the whole falls, taken from just below.  Unfortunately no such luck, but I’m sure it will turn up somewhere.  These will do for now, and if I find the others I’ll post them at a later time.  There is a power station at the top, and it still generates electricity from the water fall with an old style water wheel.  I love big water falls like this, when you stand anywhere near the bottom, you get covered with a fresh light spray of water. 

 

We did three or four of the 4 X 4 passes, visiting Telluride and Silverton.  Many of them are fairly easy, and you still get some amazing views the trails and the summit.  The following pictures are some of those views.  I just wish I could figure out a way to share the fresh clean scent of the air, and the sounds of wildlife like the Whistle Pigs.

 

I’m not sure where this last picture was taken from.  I cropped out an old red truck parked on the trail below.  I thinks it’s a pretty interesting picture though, and gives a person a good sense of the terrain.  We really loved our trip, and have many reminders of it around the house.  I just hope we’ll be able take another trip like it sometime.  I’m not sure I’ll be able to get Blinda back in the mountains, but maybe to the desert or the coast.  I'd love to

take her down to Mustang Island one of these days.

 

Maybe she’ll be able to get some more pictures of me in a compromising situation.   What’s the old saying, all’s fair in love and war.

 

Well I hope I didn’t bore you with my little trip down memory lane.  I’ll be sure to wish Blinda a happy birthday.

 

 

 

Enhanced by Zemanta

30 comments:

Comedy Plus said...

What a fun birthday adventure for sure. Hubby and I have done some four-wheeling and it's indeed very fun. What a good hubby you are.

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday Dear Blinda,
Happy Birthday to you.

Have a terrific day. :)

Recent blog post: Awww...Mondays #22

Jena Isle said...

Such awesome scenic places, Eric. I so love the mountains. These pictures evoke wonderful memories of my childhood back in the hinterlands of Kalinga.

The beauty of nature always inspires and brings utter peace and calmness..

Wise men are aware of this and would trek to the mountains every once in a while.

Thanks for sharing and Happy birthday to your wife. :)

LceeL said...

Hah!! Good thing you didn't have to poop.

Roy said...

you really know how to take us to the nature Eric

what beautiful pictures! and of course, the story that goes with them

happy birthday to wifey!



Recent blog post: The Short Story Blogger

Eric S. said...

Hey Sandee, thank you so much. I used to do a lot of four wheeling. Kind of had to to get to some of my favorite places. Blinda actually enjoyed herself, and then went with me a few times after that.

Recent blog post: Natures Own Fireworks Display, No Admittance Fee Required.

Eric S. said...

Yes indeed, the mountains do hold a certain peace and tranquility. Of course you already know how I am about my mountains, LOL. 8-)

Recent blog post: Natures Own Fireworks Display, No Admittance Fee Required.

Eric S. said...

Ohh, that would have been bad, I guess one has to be careful of who's holding the camera, LOL.

Recent blog post: Natures Own Fireworks Display, No Admittance Fee Required.

Eric S. said...

Thanks Roy, there is unbelievable beauty in the mountains. 8-)

Recent blog post: Natures Own Fireworks Display, No Admittance Fee Required.

Vixen said...

The way we both feel about the mountains and the chi's and our spouses makes me think we may be twins seperated at birth. Except you are able to put into words all the thoughts in my head.

Thanks for the support. And wish Blinda a very happy birthday from me and Mike.

Eskimo Bob said...

I'm always blown away by your blog page. Now you have these wonderful pictures up as well. . . kudos for the birthday surprise at work. I'll have to borrow that one next month for the Squaw.

Guest said...

The best of us were born in July...

Zorlone said...

Happy happy birthday to Blinda! Very exciting pictures. Nothing like the breath taking terrain looking at you and you looking at it.

The last picture you posted is common practice here. ;)

Z

Recent blog post: After thought

Summer said...

Great pics, Eric. Happy Birthday Blinda. :)

jessie said...

sounds like a wonderful time. i wish her many more happy and blessed birthdays!

Eric S. said...

You could be right Vixen, LOL, I always wondered what it would be like to have a twin. I'll be thinking of you, and be sure to do what the doctor says so you recoup quickly. ;)

Recent blog post: Timberline Temptations

Eric S. said...

Thanks Bob. The surprise worked well, and was pretty easy to set up. ;)

Recent blog post: Timberline Temptations

Eric S. said...

Ohh I don't know about that, September was the very best month, LOL. ;)

Recent blog post: Timberline Temptations

Eric S. said...

Thanks Zorlone. The mountains hold lot's of wonder. It's a lucky person who gets to spend time with them. :)

Recent blog post: Timberline Temptations

Eric S. said...

Thanks Summer, I'll pass it along. :)

Recent blog post: Timberline Temptations

Eric S. said...

Thanks Jessie, she appreciates it. 8-)

Recent blog post: Timberline Temptations

soulMerlin said...

Hi Eric ~ That's a great birthday surprise. The mountains look so fresh...I'd love to hike around there and Liz as well. She's a UK mountain-girl (little but pretty...both the mountains and Liz) She was born in the Lake District and is still only happy in the countryside and the mountains. I really like the way you've put comments on the borders of each photo..very classy. :)

xhenry

ps: Do you also write left-handed?

Eric S. said...

Hiya Henry, Thanks, Yep that area, Telluride and Ouray have some really gorgeous mountains and terrain. Some of the area, almost looks like the Alps. I would bet you and your lovely wife would love it. It's a small little town, and it comes to life in the summer. :)

Recent blog post: Timberline Temptations

Eric S. said...

Henry, I almost forgot, the photo tool is an add on for Live Writer call Polaroid. You can add the captions, and choose weather or not to display it or have it appear on a mouse over. I really like it, especially for the caption function. ;)

Recent blog post: Timberline Temptations

GP said...

bdays are blessings.. definitely looks like you took some great roads less traveled

gp 8-)

Eric S. said...

Yes indeed GP, We had lots of fun on those roads less traveled.

Kel said...

Those photos, and your reminiscing about the scents and cool air, make me SO homesick! Thank goodness the Dawg and I are heading to Lake Tahoe for a week the tail-end of September. I will be seriously needing the mountain break by then.

I noticed you didn't answer one of Henry's questions *wink*

Hugs

Eric S. said...

LOL, Kel, you know the story of my left handed delusions.

I envy your visit to Tahoe. You know mother is trying to set up Thanksgiving for us all. Would be nice to see you again, especially among the New Mexico Mountains. 8-)

Kel said...

Thanksgiving? 2009? No, she hasn't dropped that one by me yet. But it would be nice, especially if all four of us Sibs could make it. I think the last time we were all together was Richard's funeral. It would be good to give her a new memory of her kids all in one spot, at one time, again.

Kel said...

Ah . . . yes . . . unfortunately . . . I probably know the left side of the story.

Eric S. said...

I think that's what she's after, she tried to get me to come up last year, but I just couldn't swing it. For some reason, and I'm not complaining, she really wants you and I to get together.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin