Friday’s Fantasy Part 3 Tabitha’s Story

 Costume_004

  Image by Epona Schweer via Flickr

This Fantasy fiction story has taken on a life of it’s own.  The settings, and adventures along the way, are playing out in my mind daily.  I get pictures of particular scenes popping up at some of the strangest times.  Of course they are all inspired by my very talented niece, Pony’s art .  If this is your first visit, you can catch up by going to part 1 of  Friday’s Fantasy.

This particular story has become such a passion of mine, I think because it’s writing itself.  On a normal story I have to work at the process.   This one is just happening.  I need to learn to channel other stories the same way, I would never stop writing.

 

The darkness crowded in on the pair on the lone horse, surrounding them in mystery, and suspense.  A feeling of intimidation and uncertainty emanated from the trees, filling Tabitha with dread and fear.  Yet holding onto Tirashar, she felt a strength and confidence unknown to her before.  The shadows seemed to close in around them, flicking feeling fingers out to sense her fear.  The moon shone partial in the sky casting  increasingly unearthly, mysterious shapes behind trees, or by beside the trail.  There was no doubt in Tabitha’s thoughts that Tirashar was fearless… but she herself was terrified.  Tirashar continued down the trail, trying for as much distance as possible, with Tabitha clinging to her waist like a fearful child.

 

Tabitha was a young girl, only 16 years old.  Slight of build, yet shaped beautifully, with feminine curves and softness.  Her hair a dark brown, nearly black when tied up in a bun to keep it out of her work.  Her eyes a soft deep brown, compassionate and feeling. Her face smooth and graceful, almost angular,  uniquely beautiful.  she had a small mouth with full, vibrant lips.  She was a sight to behold when her hair was down, as it was now, reaching its full length, down past her waist.

 

Tabitha had never been a confidant person, a concomitant of being raised to be subservient.  Faroje had made it abundantly clear to her at a young age that he took her in solely as a favor to a friend, her mother, who owed him more than just money.  He had given her only what she needed to complete her chores around the pub, and survive.  Telling her frequently, how much of a burden she was, and how much she had cost him because of her clumsiness. Reminding her constantly that no other would have a use for nor want her.  She had lived at the pub doing Faroje’s bidding for the past five years.  laboring away her youth, cooking, cleaning, and just recently those other services Faroje required.  Tabitha shivered and clung to Tirashar even harder, as she thought of the shame and transgressions committed upon her by that monster.  Trying to draw strength from Tirashar to keep from fading back into herself.

 

Unknowing of the thoughts in Tabitha’s head, Tirashar simply thought she was cold.  “Don’t worry Tabitha, we’ll get to place we can stop and start a fire soon.  You can warm yourself then.” she said with a compassion Tabitha was not used to.

 

Tabitha said nothing, not knowing what to say, and fearful of  making Tirashar mad.  She wondered what would happen now, how she could repay Tirashar for taking her from that place of subjugation and misery.  Tabitha silently swore an oath to herself, “I pledge my life and service to this woman of kindness and compassion.”  Tabitha knew she would do anything to help Tirashar, even to the extent of offering her own life.  If  Tirashar had heard the oath, she would be adamant about Tabitha never offering her life or servitude to anyone, including her, ever again.

 

Tabitha tried to think of pleasanter times, recalling her mother, trying to visualize her face.  The picture in her head was fuzzy and without focus, fearfully Tabitha thought she was forgetting her.  She recalled her last days with her.  The devastating, wasteful disease that no one understood nor could cure.  It stole her mothers happiness and beauty, and eventually caused her to be shunned by others for fear of contagion.  Exactly what agreement was made with Faroje Tabitha had no knowledge of, except what he told her.   She remembered her mothers last words before she left for the unknown.  “Tabitha, if you come with me you’ll be shunned as I am, and marked by this demonic disease.  I can’t put that burden on you, stay here, work for this man, he will keep you well cared for.”  Tabitha thought her mother would have been destroyed by what Faroje had really done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Darfrain rode hard, making good time with the advantage of knowing the trail.  His thoughts were swimming with visions of Tirashar, Her flowing coral hair shinning wickedly in the fire light.  The cold blue ice shinning from her eyes with deadly intent as she held that serpentine dagger to Faroje’s neck.  The incredible beauty and strength he saw in this fiery warrior princess.  Yes that is what I see her as, a warrior princess, full of strength and altruism.  Thoughts of her clouding his mind, playing with his soul spirit.  Shaking his head, Darfrain spoke aloud to no one, “What is wrong with you? Get your thoughts on the trail before the Gods take certain revenge for losing focus.”  With considerable effort, he pushed the vision of Tirashar from his mind.

 

Darfrain understood, now, why his mother had told him he must go to this pub.  “Darfrain, you will meet a person that will hold a vital importance to your spirit.  I do not know who it is to be, but I see fire and ice…  Such a vivid contradiction.” Cloemillia said with thoughtful expression, her hands searching out the features of his face to see what her eyes could not.  “My son, this is of importance, it is being shown to me with such a clear vision of vague purpose.  The only possibility is that a part of your destiny awaits you.” 

 

Darfrain urged his mount on, he needed to catch up to them, quickly before they tried to set a camp in the wrong place.  These woods were full of dangerous creatures, predators of the night, many of a mythical nature.  The creatures were capable of many a devious and demonic acts and deceptions.  Darfrain needed to find Tirashar quickly, for his own conscious well being.  Fearing all  tragedies possible, his heart hardened and pushed him forward towards his destiny. 

 

**Part 4 The Dark Forest**.

Creative Commons License
Friday Fantasy - Tirashar's Story by Eric K. Schweer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at smalltownmountainboy.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://smalltownmountainboy.blogspot.com

Enhanced by Zemanta

29 comments:

Cloudia said...

Wow! You are prolific! Aloha-

Eric S. said...

Thank you Cloudia.

June Saville said...

I smell the lover/hero coming up Eric?
You've taken on something here - fantasy writing is completely foreign to me. Watching with interest ...
June in Oz

Eric S. said...

Thanks June, I'm not sure it would qualify as true fantasy. I need some work on language, background and such. I have read a lot of fantasy fiction over the years, and enjoy much of it. I wanted to give it a shot, and Pony provided the spark.

the walking man said...

Eric..the technicals in this segment are very much better. There is a good flow going, keep it up.

I like the way you introduce us to Darfrains purpose, I think that begins to qualify this in the realm of sword and fantasy.

Good week!

Eric S. said...

Thanks Mark, I can't take credit for the flow, That is the story itself. The language in one of the things I'm trying to research, keep it reasonably authentic but readable. Mostly I have to just think in the right frame of mind while I'm writing.

Darfrains story is a fun one, and I've been biting my tongue until now wanting to explain why he showed up at the pub.

Thank you kind sir.

Liara Covert said...

You are constantly revealing new facits of your own hidden talents. The more your explore realms of fantasy, the deep you evolve into your inner self. Keep inspiring others with your courage and imagination!

Eric S. said...

Thanks Liara, I'm having fun with this one too.

Jena Isle said...

I feel the suspense mounting and mounting. You have sustained my interest. A flash back of Tabitha's life is needed to understand better. Clever presentation.

Way to go Eric!!

Eric S. said...

Hi Jena, Yep I really needed to give a base for Tabitha, because she is going to grow and learn along her journey. I's important for people to see where she comes from. Thanks

tashabud said...

Hi Eric,
Like June, I sense a love story brewing in the mix. This will draw me more to your fantastic story. Your story is flowing very well in every aspect of it. Way to go.

Tasha

Eric S. said...

Hi Tasha, The fickle finger of love? Just how it will play out, I'm not real sure yet. You can be sure it will be more in a subtle method from Darfrain, for he is venturing into unfamiliar territory with it.

Thanks my favorite little romantic.

Speedcat Hollydale said...

One word ... "Creative"

Excellent writing Eric

Eric S. said...

Speedcat, Thank you so much. All credit goes to my nieces art, for that was the true inspiration.

Jena Isle said...

Hi Eric, I forgot to comment on your niece's drawing. She is indeed very talented, I like how she presented Tabitha. I can imagine you and she teaming up for a book,,go, go, go!

Eric S. said...

LOL, Jena your too sweet. Pony's drawing is my inspiration. I simply wrote what I saw. Her talent has awakened my creative thoughts.

Thanks.

Kel said...

The bones of the story are solid so far. It will be interesting to see how the story line grows, and the how the fleshing out of the people develops.

I'm wondering if one or more of Poni's monsters is tramping, or slithering, about in the forest?

Eric S. said...

Well now Kel, you're just going to have to wait to find out, LOL. BTW, I talked with Pony tonight. She said she would illustrate if I ever decided to bite the bullet and go towards publishing.

Jessie said...

Hi Eric,

This is an interesting piece. Judging by your past writings, I have no doubt we're in for some twist, turns. And maybe a magic spell or two?

Liara Covert said...

Epona sketched a very life-like interpretation of yoru protagonist. Kudos to the artist!The idea that a story writes itself reminds us that sketches sometimes dribble through the fingertips of the artist as well.

Dragonblogger said...

I echo what many are saying, I really like the way the story is developing. Your characters including Tabitha and Darfrain are really flushing out nicely.

Looking forward to next Friday's episode.

You should do a little bio page for the fantasy story that has each character and a little bio.

Eric S. said...

Hi Jessie, Well now things may get interesting and mystic yet. We'll just have to wait and see, LOL.

Eric S. said...

Hi Lira, Yes she is very very skillful. The interesting part is she drew all these pictures years ago. I just recently found them on Flikr, and she was gracious enough to let me use them. Her drawings are the seed for my inspiration.

Eric S. said...

DragonBlogger, that is a a good idea. I'll have to work up some bios, instead of leaving them in my head.

Thanks for your support and interest in the story.

Kel said...

That would be something! My wee bro, and wee babe, published together . . . I'm grinning from ear to ear just daydreaming about it! LOL.

Speaking of being published, the RanDawg is grinning from ear to ear because one of his photos was chosen to be the image for April on the scenic series of the PSI calendar for 2009. I didn't tell him when I found out, so his surprise was complete when I brought one home the other day and mentioned that he might find some of the scenic photos interesting.

Tee hee hee! I LOVE surprises . . . as long as I'm not the one being surprised. *wink*

Eric S. said...

Oh I bet RanDawg was flying high. So conniving of you to wait until published to show the poor man, LOL.

Kel said...

Yup, that's me. Little Ms. Conniving! LOL

Roy said...

wow! I can't wait for the next part... clever presentation of Tabitha's past...

looking forward to the origin of the other characters as well...

can't wait til Darfrain catch up with the Tabitha and his warrior princes ;)




Recent blog post: Win 1,000 EC and ad space! Subscribe to The Struggling Blogger!

Eric S. said...

Hey Roy, you'll like the next part then! I'm not going to give it away but it's going to be fun. There's a little twist, I hope to be able to work in, LOL.

Thanks, I felt I needed to introduce the characters to the reader. It's a little thing I like when I'm reading a story.
;)

Recent blog post: Love Letters, Part 2, Not forgotten

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin