Forest Trees Whispering, Softly Singing a Melody .

Forest

Image via Wikipedia

I’ve been wishing for the tranquil, revitalizing, spirit of the outdoors.  Yes I’m in one of those moods again, dreaming of the wilderness.  It’s been far too long since my last visit to the wilds I so love…   I'm feeling cooped up and crowded in this big bustling city.  So I thought maybe I could just write about it, and take myself there, at least in my thoughts. 

 

There was a place back home where I loved to go and sit, to think and ponder.  Sorting through all those strange thoughts, organizing, adding just a little structure to my cluttered head.  It was a lonely place, filled with spirits of times past.  Deep in the pine forest, near a small grove of Aspen trees.    There was an old miners tram, mounted on steel rails that rose quietly, magically up the mountainside.  Many a worker had ridden the tram in it’s time of prosperity.  Now it sits lonely and forlorn, weathered wood slowly corroding, splintering and falling apart.  A lone pine tree growing through the center of the tracks, obscuring the prospective view of ghostly riders. 

 

I would sit for hours, near that old tram, leaning against a tree just watching and listening.  Some times I could swear I heard the sound of an old electric motor, the remnants of which strewn about, groaning under a heavy burden.  At times it was the mumblings of men, worn and weary, from a long hard days work.  Men who wished only for a stiff drink and a good meal…  dreaming of that elusive mother load of a gold strike.  When you listened real close, you could hear the forest of trees whispering, silently singing a melody.  A song lonesome and sweet, filled with dreams and wonder, sorrow and serenity.  Contradictions… yet when thrown together a sound so beautiful, remarkable, and full of life! 

 

It was a place forgotten and lost, a place that surely had seen the sufferings and successes of people long since parted.  A place that strangely held an unusual centering, soothing, and rejuvenating power.  I could sit there and dream of centuries past…  people who came before.  Dream the simple dreams of those who toiled and troubled inside the mountain.  visualize the desires of those who worked the world above.  People harvesting its bounty or herding and hunting its  bestial gifts. Dreams so simple and supportive, lacking the stress of today's ventures.  A place I could lose myself in solitude, listening… learning from spirits old, yet young.  Guiding souls willing to lend an ear to a fellow lonely wanderer.

 

If I allow myself, I can take my thoughts back to that place and just faintly hear the forest of trees, whispering… singing a melody, unheard by many… treasured by a few lucky, lonely souls.

Enhanced by Zemanta

24 comments:

sandyz said...

Oops this is different comment box than I've seen before. Well I found your blog and i'll have to find time to read more of your writings. I enjoyed the one I read over at Dante's pub. Nice to meet you. You're quite the writer, very descriptive...

Eric S. said...

Hi Sandyz, Thanks for sopping by, and thank you for your kind words. Feel free to look around, make yourself at home, the door is always open, welcome mat out, and fire burning to warm the weary wanderer warm.

I like your art work, The recent doodle is very unique and abstract, beautiful. :)

shadow said...

natures does have that knack... stilling a turbulent soul.

tashabud said...

Hello Eric,
A soulful rumination of your beloved home. I wish you could spend more time with nature that you so love so much and miss so much. I hope that by you writing this beautiful post, it allowed you to be transported to that place of long ago, even just for a moment. I felt I was there also. Great writing, Eric.

May you have a good day today.
Tasha

Eric S. said...

Yes indeed it does have that effect, very centering and calming. ;)

Eric S. said...

It did Tasha, surprisingly enough, it did. I received that very calm feeling I would always get, and allowed me to clear many a cluttered thought. I may have to do this more often. ;)

soulMerlin said...

Hi Eric ~ That is a beautiful story. I too like wandering and being around places where people used to work and live...and then see how nature again takes over in it's feral return to the wild. But the vibrations of those that lived there, still remain. the lone pine tree growing through the tracks will stay with me as an image.

xhenry

June Saville said...

I too know a secret place, quite like yours Eric. The forest here surrounded the old remnants of a saw mill. Ironic? The forest outlived the tormenter ...
June in Oz

Summer said...

That takes me back. I really miss just sitting and "being." That's the only way for me to describe what nature does for me when I'm by myself.

GP said...

this is EXACTLY why we finally left the "left coast" to realize my childhood dream come true... living in the mountains of montana....
beautifully written

gp

Recent blog post: Fill in the Blank

Eric S. said...

Hello Henry, thank you. You are a very spiritual person, would it surprise to know that I often had conversations with my dream ghosts while I was sitting there. I so enjoyed the vibrations as you say of those who went before. That pine tree, always spurred my active imagination for some reason. There was something about the way it had chosen to grow right there in the center of a slightly elevated set of tracks. ;)

Recent blog post: Love Letters, Part 2, Not forgotten

Eric S. said...

Hello June, that is irony indeed, and perhaps just a little poetic justice. There is something comforting in abandoned places. The spirit of them seems to thrive even though there are no welcoming residents any longer. I think it may be as Henry says, vibrations of those who have gone before linger and create a welcome for those who chose to listen.
;) 8-)

Recent blog post: Love Letters, Part 2, Not forgotten

Eric S. said...

Ohh Summer, I like that, "sitting and just BEING". It is a special feeling isn't it. The simple act of existing and experiencing all that is surrounding you.

Recent blog post: Love Letters, Part 2, Not forgotten

Eric S. said...

Hi GP, Montana has some beautiful country, just my style. There is a love of the mountains that one acquires, and can never really shake loose from. I'm glad you were able to live that childhood dream.

Thank you for visiting, and for your kind words. Your welcome anytime, the door is always open, and a fire laid to warm the weary wanderer.

Recent blog post: Love Letters, Part 2, Not forgotten

Alexys Fairfield said...

Hi Eric,

This is wonderfully written. Thanks for taking me back to that special place where your mind could relax and hear the sounds of yesteryear. We only have our memories to keep us company sometimes. You have a splendid way with words and imagery.

Thank you for the ride. :)

Kel said...

Yup, I remember many of those old claims spots. And enjoyed hanging out, poling around in them.

But for my "alone time," I always aimed for a spot higher though, up out of the trees, with the wind more dominant as my companion than any of the other wild voices/presences.

I can't get up tree line easily here. Takes a 3+ hour drive one-way just to get to tree line. And a lot more than that to get away from human kind.

Eric S. said...

Alexys, thank you, it was a comfortable place for me. One where I could converse with my dreams, organize my thoughts, and many times find an elusive answer. Mostly though it was a place of natures music.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. ;)

Recent blog post: Love Letters, Part 2, Not forgotten

Eric S. said...

Kel, I'm sure you know this place, the workers tram for the Paris Mine. Hidden in the trees far from the mill. It was just one of my spiritual places.

Yes for true alone time, I searched higher more remote locals. Windy Ridge, or Mount Silverheels up high by the shale rock where we spent so much time collecting rock for the chimney and foundation Dad crafted.

Now days, it's even harder to find a place with no human presence. So many of my favorite haunts have become popular mountain bike or hiking trails.

Recent blog post: Love Letters, Part 2, Not forgotten

TWM said...

The temple is where you find it.

Eric S. said...

These places are my temple. Mostly though it is nature itself that I would consider my temple of worship.

Thanks Mark

Recent blog post: Love Letters, Part 2, Not forgotten

Jena Isle said...

I know what you mean Eric. We are kindred souls when it comes to our love for nature. Thanks for sharing.

I still don't know how to contribute to the writing site. Can I do some poems? or short stories?

Eric S. said...

Hey Jena, Nature is a great reprieve for us isn't it. Hey you can write what ever you like. Poems, short stories, fiction, or start a story that others can jump in and write a paragraph, chapter or what ever. You can also jump in and write something in one of the stories that are already posted. That's the fun part of collaborative writing, we get to see the different visions and styles of the other writers.
:)

Recent blog post: Love Letters, Part 2, Not forgotten

Maggie's Mind said...

Sounds like such a beautiful place. Glad you can still go there in your mind.

Recent blog post: Weekly Winners Sunday 2/21/09

Eric S. said...

It is a beautiful Place Maggie. You would love the mountains I'm sure. This is one of those places My mind can go when I need a calming influence.

Recent blog post: A Written Portrait?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin