A Tragedy of Fire Has Befallen a Fellow Blogger

Fire: Disaster in the city

Image by millzero.com via Flickr

I can’t even imagine the feeling of loss involved in losing your home to a fire.  So much more than a simple house is at stake.  To think about the all the memorabilia, pictures, hand me downs, and family heirlooms that would be gone forever.  Luck for them the kids were not home, and Travis was able to get his wife and pets out of the house.  Travis who authors One Word, One Rung, One Day, is now trying to sort through the ashes, and rebuild his life one day at a time.  He is still managing to make posts to his blog, I don’t know if I could, and sharing what he has gone through.

 

A site has been set up for donations to help him out, Habitat for Travis, is taking donations through PayPal to help Travis rebuild.  At the site, you can purchase “brick’s” to help out, I went over and donated what I could, and will be doing so off an on as fiancés allow.  There is so much more that can’t be purchased though.  The boys, 6 and 8 are avid readers, and in need of some children's books.  The youngest is also struggling with the loss of his Hot Wheels collection.  I will be sending a package, for I have many a book they might enjoy, and maybe a little Venison Jerky to ease the evenings with. 

 

A few more things taken from his site.

Also if any of you live in the Orlando area or are visiting Disneyworld soon I'd love to replace t- shirts they boys picked out while we were there. My oldest is a size 10 or I think a child's large and he had a shirt with Mickey Mouse's body that said I'm the big cheese. His younger brother wears a 6 or a small and his ad a picture of Mickey and Goofy dressed as pirates along with a treasure map and it said How to Be a Pirate. It is very silly I know, but they spent a week agonizing over what shirt to pick and then they were gone before they ever got to wear them at home. I would gladly repay anyone who can find those shirts for them.

 

Travis managed to save very little prior to the fire departments arrival.  One of the things he was unable to save was his wife’s scrapbooking things.   I know that Blinda would be heartbroken at losing her scrapbooking stuff, so I think I’ll try to talk her into letting go of some of hers.  I am sure there is much more that he would be in need of, but you’ll have to go over and read his posts to find out. You can get his address here.

Enhanced by Zemanta

11 comments:

Liara Covert said...

This is a meaningful gesture. You remind your readers its desirable to give what you can, to do whatever you can, to help others. As you evolve to see a reflection of yourself in another human being, in all human beings, you connect with them differently. You develop empathy and are less likely to walk by the less forunate with perception of indifference. Sending thoughts of love, growth and healing. We can always find positive things in every situation. That stretches us.

Eric S. said...

Thank you Liara, I believe it is important to do what you can for others who may be in need. Some day the table may be turned.

On a limb with Claudia said...

Gosh, what a loss! Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I would be... heart sick... if this happened

Jena Isle said...

That's tragic, I would go visit his site. You're an Angel Eric.

June Saville said...

The many sides of Eric - Goodonyermate!
You've brought home to us the real tragedy behind the headlines. The little details that go wrong, and the little emotional attachments that have effects which stretch way into the future.
And well done on the appeals. Such support will mean heaps to Travis and his family.
Even the name of Travis' blog says what kind of person he must be - One Word, One Rung, One Day. A person who gets there gradually by sustained personal effort?

Terie said...

Eric, this is such a terrible tragedy. Thankfully the family survived and have each other for support. Although the loss is mostly material, those things that define who we are as a family and as members of a community or society do hurt when they are no longer with us. I will pay a visit to his site and see what I can do to help. Thanks for sharing.

Eric S. said...

@ Cloudia, I know what you mean, there are so many things in our homes that simply can't be replaced.

@ Jena, I don't know about angel, just a friend.

@ June, yes his blog name says a lot. It's one of the things that drew me to read his writing. There are so many things that one becomes attached to, that would be sorely missed.

@ Teri, Thank you, your are so right, those items that are "part of us" can never be replaced. Hopefully the goodwill of the blogging community will help to ease the losses.

maggie's mind said...

Very scary to imagine and so much that cannot be replaced.

Shadow said...

omg, this is so sad. i can imagine the devestation and loss...

tashabud said...

Hi Eric,
Thanks for informing me of Travis' plight. I went to visit his blog and read the updates. I'm happy to find out that he's getting a lot of help. However, he and his family are far from recovering from their losses. I shall send a check for their cause, soon.Thanks giving us the links.

Tasha

Eric S. said...

@ Maggie, I think that is what would bother me the most. The things I have collected throughout my life. The mementos and such that will never be able to be replaced.

@ Shadow, I know. The youngest son seems to really be worried about losing any more hot wheels. That in itself says volumes about the feelings of loss.

@ Tashabud, You are such an angel. You manage to give so freely of yourself all the time. Bless you.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin