A Mountain Boy’s Interview

Description unavailable

Image by Brian Hathcock via Flickr

I have been seeing this Interview meme floating around the web.  I finally decided to have a go at it, and left a comment for Jessie over at Softly Spoken.  She emailed me  a list of questions that she developed just for me.   That’s one of the things I like about this interview meme, is each one is unique and individual to the blogger being interviewed. 

 

So without further beating around the bush, lets get right down to it.  Here are the questions, and my answers.

 

1.  Colorado is beautiful, which landscape and / or season best describes you and why?  (Not the "physical" you,but instead the individual under the armor.)   It’s interesting that Jessie used that term “Under the armor”, for that is just the way I feel some times.  Like I have to keep this coat of armor on to protect myself, and not show those feeble little weaknesses.  Well to answer the question, I’m going to chose season, for I think everyone would know I would choose the mountains if it were landscape.   I would say that winter best represents me.  The safe warm insulating cover of snow that protects all the beauty underneath it, yet letting just enough out to be seen.  It’s like it’s own coat of armor.  I would say that I keep that covering of snow most times, shoveling or clearing certain paths that are “safe to travel” and therefore open for everyone.  But I must say that since I started blogging, I think spring is coming, and has melted away much of that protective covering.


2.  It is said that dog owners are a lot like their dogs.  Do you find this to be true?   Are you more Basset Hound, Chihuahua, or Red Healer?  And how so?    That’s a good question, I have seen owners that resemble either physically or emotionally their dogs.  But I don’t think I do, well maybe just a little.  I would have to say I’m more suited to the Red Healer, a worker, herder, keeper of the pack.  I like to run and play, but seem to live to work.  It does not always mater what work I do, I just have to work.   I think it’s something in my genes.  I love and care for my other dogs, and cat, but Destiny is the one who I wish would ride with me, and enjoy my day at work.  Unfortunately she has to be the only Healer I have ever seen that absolutely hates to ride in vehicles.

 

3.  What are your "junk?" treasures, and how do they symbolize you individually?  Ohh, my treasures, Blinda calls them junk, are my 1975 Chevy Blazer, and my 1974 Ford 3/4 ton High Boy.   Neither one runs, but I can’t get rid of them.  They are so individual to their lines.  Both are unique in that the dies were changed at the end of those years.  The 75 Blazer is the last year they had the full top that was removable.  After that year you could only get a half top. The ford changed its frame that year and went to a wider set of frame rails, High Boys are fairly uncommon.  I like to think of myself as unique and individual for my line, LOL Sorry sis (both of you).   I am different from all my siblings, but then I suppose that is not all that uncommon.   Hopefully they changed the mold after me, for I wouldn’t wish my unique issues on anyone, LOL.


4.  What draws you into hunting as a sport?   I would have to say Nature in general.  Back home I was not that avid of a hunter, going when I could but not very often.  When I came down here, it provided me an opportunity to leave the fast paced city behind, and seemingly go back in time to a slower, more basic life.  I love getting out in the country, and seeing all the sights, hearing all the sounds, really just taking it all in.  I guess I don’t really “sport hunt”, I’m not after that perfect dream buck all the time.  If he walks out before I fill my tag , well that's a bonus for me, but that’s not what I’m after.  When I do take an animal, it’s for the meat, and for improvement of the deer in our area.  It’s more about relaxing in a place that is familiar and comfortable to me.


5.  Which sense would devastate you the most if you lost it?   That’s an easy one, sight.  I have already lost much of my sense of feeling in my hands due to the types of work I have done over the years.  Hearing, according to Blinda is well on its way too, again the many different types of work involving some pretty loud noise (with no hearing protection). I could easily stand to lose my sense of smell, except I would miss the fragrance and fine aromas of food while it’s cooking.   But sight, I love to read and write so much, and the absolute beauty and serenity of a perfect sunset, to lose that would truly be devastating for me.


As with all meme’s, there are rules that apply.  The nice thing about this one is that you don’t “tag” some poor unsuspecting blogger with the duty of completing a set meme.  Anyone who wants to take part can, all they have to do is ask.  If you wish for me to come up with  a set of interview questions for you, just leave me a comment saying “interview me”  I ask that you don’t leave your email address in the comment, for privacy reasons.  You can email me your request by clicking on the contact me button just under my feed number icon, upper mid right side of my blog.

The Rules
Leave me a comment saying: interview me.
Comments with e-mail addresses will not be published to preserve privacy.
I will e-mail you five questions. i get to pick the questions.
You can then answer the questions on your blog.   I would appreciate a link also.
You should also post these rules along with an offer to interview anyone else who e-mails you wanting to be interviewed.
Anyone who asks to be interviewed should be sent 5 questions to answer on their blog.
To keep this unique, it would be nice if the questions were individualized for each blogger.

27 comments:

the walking man said...

Took me years to drop the armor...I replaced it with walls.

I can relate to the sight and sound thing Eric, lost an eye 25 years ago and my wife says my hearing is well gone, or is it selective...I didn't hear exactly what she said.

Chris said...

Love your blog both content and the color scheme. It was interesting reading your meme responses. My husband says I resemble our cocker spaniel - not sure if that's a good thing or not as she's very loving but pretty hairy and tends to drool.

confused said...

and we get to know a little more about you which is a good thing..:))

Shadow said...

your answer to no 1 is BRILLIANT. i can feel what you wrote. i like it. i like your dog answer too. i'm mostly my gsp, then the mr. and of course a lady at times too, heee heee heee. and keep your cars. i fully understand your sentiment. i'll never get rid of mine! this was a great read!

Charli said...

Hi Eric... Nice to meet you.

I enjoyed reading your answers. Isn't this game a fun one?

I like the junk question. When I think of junk, I think of old opera tickets or bits of beach glass. You've got great bit cars.

Also - hunting is very interesting to me. I first leanred to hunt at age 12. I really liked it, but was never very good at it. May father and I used to get up very early and bundle up and go out into the woods. Those are happy memories.

maggie's mind said...

I just love your insightful answers to these, Eric. Very cool.

Sandee (Comedy +) said...

Some of these things I knew, but some I didn't. What a great meme to learn more about someone.

I'm with you on not wanting to lose my sight. That would absolutely be the last thing I would choose.

Have a terrific day. :)

Jessie said...

Eric, i really enjoyed reading your answers, like Shadow, i especially liked the answer to number 1. your thought process and relating the snow to armor, especially in CO, was very well stated.

i am so glad you took the time to email me and allow me the opportunity to ask you a few questions.

i enjoy reading your blog, and now i know a little bit about the person who is writing it and where the words and ideas originate from.

Eric S. said...

@ The Walking Man, LOL, I have been accused of selective hearing many a time also. Dropping that armor is one of the harder things I have tried doing.

@ Chris, LOL, you just have to watch that drooling. Thank you very much, I appreciate the compliment.

@ Confused, Yep, trying to clear a few more paths through the snow that have not been open before. Thanks.

@ Shadow, Thanks, when I decided to do this I was not sure what questions I would get. The interesting thing is it did not take all that long to answer these. It was all right there front and center, waiting for my to type it out.

@ Charli, Thanks, I loved the way you answered yours. Doing it in poetic form was fabulous. I like your "junk", I just don't have much of that. My vehicles are my treasures, and some day if it ever comes around or I win the lottery I'll restore them or fix them up the way I want. Hunting is one of my escapes, and I love the nature viewing that goes along with it.

Yes this was fun, and I am so glad I got to meet you.

@ Maggie, Thanks, it was a lot of fun, and I just let it flow.

@ Sandee, Thanks, it is a neat meme, and so unique and individual. My sight just means so much to me.

@ Jessie, Thank you for the great questions. If not for them, I could not have ventured down this path. The funny thing is #1 Just hit me right away as soon as I read the question, almost a spontaneous answer.

Thanks again for the meme, and for reading my humble blog.

The Muse said...

I feel like we have been hiking..and just talking...simply getting to you...hearing you speak your mind...voice your opinions...tell us what moves you.

I am glad to be a follower :)

Lilly's Life said...

Oh I just posted a long comment and it didn't go through.

This was great Eric. I really enjoyed it. I think the quality about you that I am getting to see more and more through your posts and definitely through this interview is your dry sense of humor. Fantastic. I like to laugh as you know. I think Blinda is right about the hearing thing but tell her it comes with the Y chromosome. All men are the same bless them. And I dont blame them either because we do like to communicate at all times us females. Cannot wait to see if your sister comments some time down the track too.

I cannot see anyone else offering to be interviewed on these comments yet. OK I will....but I have all my posts done for January or at least planned so if you get a better offer, which would mean any offer, than thats ok. You have my address.

Thanks for sharing and I have to say the questions were really, really good too.

Eric S. said...

@ The Muse, Thank you, and it has been such a pleasant stroll and conversation too. It's been a pleasure getting to know you also.

@ Lilly, A dry sense of humor huh, I guess I take after my Father there. Thank you and I'll come up with nice questions for you soon. I'm going to take you up on your offer even if others request an interview.

"Comes with the Y chromosome", I seem to have heard that before, LOL.

Lilly's Life said...

Hey Eric, thanks for the nomination. To say I was shocked was an understatement. Never knew of such things. Now remember, nice things ......he he..

Kel said...

Oh man . . . just accidentally deleted a long string of text (sigh). The meat of which was that I LOVED that post! What a great idea for a meme, and what excellent questions for Eric S.

I'm a Winter too, definitely. And I shudder at thought of losing my sight (cripes . . . how horrid that would be). I wouldn't have been able to tackle the junk subject though . . . wouldn't have come up for air from the typing for . . . oh, perhaps a month or so. LOL!!!

LarryG said...

great questions and answers, i like your mix of "The safe warm insulating cover of snow that protects all the beauty" great writing just comes out!!!

Enjoyed this and your blog is a wonderful place of reflection and vision.

GAGAY said...

hop..hop..hop..Dropping by here..sniffing new infos and parking for a while..i also dropped EC and kissed your ads..

Hope to see you at mine! Take care!

gagay^^

tashabud said...

Hi Eric,
Those questions were truly tailored just for you. I enjoyed reading your answers to the questions. Your answers seem to match what I already think of who you are, so, I must have a good sense of intuition. Hee, hee. I'm glad that spring is emerging from within your winter coat.

Cheers!
Tasha

LceeL said...

And thus we learn just a bit more about Eric - and gladly so.

Liara Covert said...

The nature of questions a person chooses to ask is always intriguing. Your question #5 in this post evokes curiosity. Tell us, why would you feel to ask which sense would devastate you most if you lost it?

The fear of losing sight mentioned in this interview reponse is a common fear. And yet, the funny thing is people assume they will no longer have the same ability to "see" without their eyes. They forget or conveniently overlook different ways of seeing and sensing exist. Consider painters like Esref Armagan. He is a Turkish painter who has been blind since birth. A Discovery channel documentary program categorized him among "superhumans"
http://www.discoverychannel.ca/shows/castdetails.aspx?cid=4610&sid=4399

Other people who have lost one sense, have been known to magnify their abilities in others or, to sharpen abilities they did not even know they had. In truth, there may be nothing to fear in losing a sense other than fear itself. HUman beings are regularly expanding their faculties but they do not always choose to be aware. It is your perogative to make a choice.

redchair said...

The interview is a lot of fun and excellent replies, Eric. Makes me like you even more.

(No-no-no. I don't want to do it. No more memes for me.)
Vikki

Jena Isle said...

Hi Eric,

I like the snow concept, the simile with yourself covered in snow and you shoveling a path for a portion you want others to see. That was remarkable.

I can see myself in you , your wanting to go back in time when the pace of things were slower and you can appreciate more the things in your immediate environment.

All the best.

Eric S. said...

@ Kel, I hate it when that happens, you spend all the time fleshing out the perfect comment, and zap it's gone. Thanks, You have junk treasure!

@ Larry G, Thanks. It's amazing that those statements just flowed out. really got me by surprise.

@ GAGAY, Thanks for the visit. I checked out your two sites, pretty nice. I'll swing back later, and leave you a comment, Blogger is acting a little strange today.

@ Tashabud, LOL, for some reason, I think you know me pretty well. Yes spring is emerging, slowly, but emerging.

@ Lou, thanks, I liked the questions you had, and the answers you gave. True Lou form.

@ Liara, I suppose it's not unusual for people to think of losing their site as devastating. Most people know that when you lose one of your senses, the other step up and improve. I think the question was asked simply as a curiosity. Maybe a way to get a feel of what a person values, like are they an auditory person, visual person, or a tactile person. For me I am a very visual person. I know that I could manage just fine without it, with a little training, and hard work. I suppose, I place more value on my sight than any other sense.

@ Vikki, Ahh, just one little interview, LOL. I know what you mean, but that's whats nice about this one. You only participate if you want. Thank you.

@ Jena, Thanks, The concepts fits me pretty well. Yes I do enjoy the slower paced simpler times. It does not surprise me at all that we are similar in nature.

Roy said...

great answers! (and I'm not surprised) I love the answer on snow too... exposing only what you choose to reveal.

honestly, I am very much tempted to give this a try. but I don't think I am ready to answer questions that I didn't ask myself. you know what I mean ;)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Roy, I know it sounds strange, "exposing only what you choose to reveal", but I think everyone is like that. And yes I do understand. ;) s

Eric S. said...

Thanks Roy, I think we all expose only small amounts of ourselves.s I can say that I have opend up more since I started blogging.s
s
Yes I do understand. ;)

Momisodes said...

I just loved your answers to these.s Very elquent and personal replies.s I found your answer to #1 so interesting.s I think I would be the opposite though, as I love summer :) .
s
hope you have a lovely weekend!

Eric S. said...

Thanks, I like the winter so much more than summer.s Especially down here in Texas.s I would rather be cold than hot any day.s You can always put more clothes on, but theres only so much you can get away with taking off, LOL.
s
I hope you have a wonderful weekend also. 8-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin