Monday’s Writers of the Web

U.S.

Image via Wikipedia

As we start yet another week, anticipation of the year to come is buoyed by the events about to take place tomorrow in our nations capital.  It will be a day of historic value for any number of causes.  The celebrated cause I desire to stand out, Is the promise of a historic day of change.  A day that will become the hallmark of our country’s history because of changes undertaken by our government.   An adjustment of our governments attitude and application of  foreign policy.  A remodeling of the massive structure of our government agencies that cost so much to maintain.  A repeal of laws that have sought to remove many of our constitutional rights. Laws that were hurriedly passed under an obscuring fog of panic.  A day that America regains the respect lost due to mishandled situations and events on several fronts.  It’s entirely appropriate that today, the day before this  memorable day of American history, that has yet to materialize, is Martin Luther King Day…  for I have a dream.

 

I just had to say that… make my statement for the future.

 

Now back to the task at hand.  I have some nice sites to share with you.  Many of them are poetry sites, and very penetrative, intuitive, and sensitive.  I have enjoyed reading their prose, and reflecting on the substance.  Poetry is one of those art forms that can be enlightening, frustrating, and ever so meaningfully powerful.  It seems to me that each reader receives their own unique vision of a poem.    A poem can be vague and obtuse to one person while being clear and vibrant to another.  That is one of the reasons I enjoy reading poetry, and analyzing it’s substance in my own mind.  To the authors, I wish to apologies, for I seldom comment on a poem.  I have this underlying fear of sounding like a complete unrepentant idiot.   I have often wondered if the poets are disappointed when a person such as I, misunderstands their vision.

 

The first site I wish to share, is one I found through the Interview process at Softly Spoken.  While reading and interview there, I followed a link to the most interesting site.  Broken Mannequin, authored by a wonderful poet Charli, is insightful, sensitive, personal and powerful.  Even Charli’s profile says volumes with few words.

“I want to tell you my secrets. So I write this naked poetry and hide behind the fig leaf of a word. My poems are confessions, penance too. I've got closets full of creatures dying to get out.” 

This small portion of her profile struck my sensitive side, opened my heart and therefore my thoughts.  Charli crafts, shapes, and molds, poems  such as Inner Voice, about losing that guiding inner voice.  She speaks (feels like singing) about the struggle and torture of  being alone… with no guidance… even from yourself.  In so doing, she enlightens and endears her readers.  Perhaps you would like a love poem; or unreciprocated love… poem.  Try Heart Surgeon, a prose that question the cold, compassionless heart, yet seeks a cure by any means available.   Broken Mannequin is a site you’ll never regret visiting.

 

Next up is a site recently discovered.  Before I am Famous, authored by Jenifer M. Scott.  If you want to know anything about her, just visit her page and click on the About Me 101 Things.  She writes poetry, short stories, and a few sponsored posts.  Join her in Seeking Destiny, a poem about the questions of purpose, and the effort to make your own destiny.  Or you can go on a whim and a fairytale… with Belated Love.   How about some fun stories, read Mrs. Orzard’s Job, and forever question the radon comments by mysterious profiles on your blog.   Or perhaps your would enjoy the Weekly Shorts, a series of short stories.  You’ll find interesting fiction like, Dear Ana, a letter from an elderly man to his sister.  He’s “confessing his sins”, which is prophetic for the sins are not his but those of  the church.  Take the time to explore Before I was Famous and enjoy the writing she has to offer.

 

A short time ago, I told you about Denver Cereal.  It’s a daily serial with chapter parts posted each week.  I guess the best way for me to describe it,  is as a soap opera in written form.  You can explore the lives and intricate events of two primary families.  One working class, close knit, protective, and loving while the other is monied, distant and functioning dysfunctional.  Find out how the two families become intertwined through love and circumstance. 

 

The reason I’m mentioning them again is, Claudia Hall Christian, has gotten it published.  The book is available in paper back version from the The Denver Cereal Store on createspace.  If you enter coupon or discount code LTR2JGHK you can get it for close to 30 percent off.  The discount pretty much covers shipping costs so it’s like getting free shipping.  Or perhaps you would like it in PDF form.  You can download it for free here.   I have purchased the paperback version, mainly to help support Claudia, it’s only fair, she provides such enjoyment.    So all of you blog authors with dreams of publishing… IT CAN HAPEN.  (I hear you Lilly, even before you comment, LOL.)  I’m about 1/3 the way through the paperback, and have been enjoying the cast of characters.  The relationships and escapades are lively, mischievous, and lots of fun.

Enhanced by Zemanta

24 comments:

shadow said...

i love these monday segments of yours... like a little candy shop of goodies to browse around

The Walking Man said...

Eric...I;ll have to go to those sights of poetry my first literary love thanks for the opportunity to view contemporary poets.
s
The thing about poetry is the images conveyed, to me there is no right or wrong "understanding" which is the beauty. The images that resonate will be different for each reader.
s
One small error..Denver Cereal is put up WEEKLY, a new chapter per.
s
It is an engaging story and is now coming to the "man" parts with the tale of Mike's exploits.

tashabud said...

Oh I love poetry, but most of the time they're so cryptic that I'm not getting them. Like yourself, I'm afraid of commenting forsI might hurt the authors' feelings incase my interpretation is wrong.
s
But with you, I always get the meanings of your poems.
s
I have visited Before I Was Famous and Denver Cereal on and off and had left comments, but haven't been reciprocated. They must be very busy people and just don't have time to visit, eh?
s
Tasha

Allison said...

I always so look for ward to your posts and this one again was not a disappointment.
Thanks for posting this.

robert bourne said...

all great sites once again Eric most of which are on my favorites list..:)

Eric S. said...

Hi Walking man,s I check Denver Cereal of and on, but not regularly.s I'm starting to get into the story pretty good now that I have the paperback copy.s Once I get caught up, I think I'll be visiting regularly.s It is an intriguing and captivating group of characters.
s
Poetry is one of those pleasures I discovered just recently.s For some reason, I was never steered that way at a yunger age, but since I started blogging, I find so many nice poetry sites, like yours for instance.s I guess you could say I'm an un educated appreciator, and am just feeling my way around.s
s
8-)

Eric S. said...

Hi Shadow, I'm glad you like them.s I like that, a candy shop full of goodies, he, he.s Does that mean I'm full of sugar, and bad for your health, LOL.

Eric S. said...

Hi .s

Eric S. said...

I missed it, since I had to work.s I'm sure I'll catch all the news in no time.s
s
I do read Jim Murdoch's site, but I'll have to go by Dragon Blogger.s I've read one of your poems, I thought it to be quite good.s
s
s

Eric S. said...

Thanks Allison,s I enjoy the Monday's Writers segment.s I'm glad you like them.

Eric S. said...

You are probably how I found them then.s I have a habit of checking the blog lists of the sites I follow.s You can find some really good sites that way.

Eric S. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kel said...

OMG . . . I got shivers today, several times; and teared up several times, listening to President Obama's inauguration speech on the radio at my office.s With such a well-educated, well-rounded, inspiring fellow at the head of the country I really do feel renewed hope that " lines of tribe" will eventually disolve, and that we folk of this world will someday accept and celebrate our common humanity.s
s
I just can't imagine the weight of expectation that has settled on his shoulders from hopeful people all around the world.s The hubby and I were in Beijing the day of elections, and it was astounding to be watching foreign news service and find that the majority of countries and cultures around the world are expecting this one poor fellow to pull America out of the bitter muddle we're in all by his lonesome!s I wouldn't ask to be in his shoes for any amount of money or prestige.
s
It is a bit shocking to this old girl though, to realize that my president is two years younger than I am.s Gads!!!!!sss Whew, that's an uncomfortable paradigm shift *wink*

Kel said...

P.S.s This new layout for the comments section is easier on these ancient eyes!s And your comments back to commenters fall more elegantly beneath the original comment.

Kel said...

_P.S.s Sigh . . . . how the heck did I turn this blasted underline thingymabob on?!?ss Computers!_
s
_Anyway, what I wanted to say to you and Tasha, is that I honestly don't think its possible to read a poem wrong.s Poetry, like visual art, triggers subtly or radically different reactions from every person that encounters it.s We each bring our culture orientations, life histories, education, etc. to the encounter, and so the art/poem cannot possibly have only one "right" reaction to it, or understanding of it.s _

lilly said...

Eric, Eric, Eric I was not going to say a word. LOL!!!
s
Anyway, thanks fo those links and I will definitely go and check them out. Gosh I used to write so much poetry in my troubled angst ridden teen years. I shall have to dragsmy poetry booksout,smight be funny to read now. I agree with Kel. Its a personal thing and we will read into it what we will dpeneding on our own experiences.
s
I am loving this comment feature, I might have a go at doing this too. Matt also uses it too.
s
Oh Eric, before I forget, have I ever menioned that you would be a great author of a best selling book, nah I guess I havent!!! ;) Have a good week.

June Saville said...

Hi Eric
Take the effort to watch the ceremony uninterrupted (at least for the first hour or so) to get the full impact.s Emotionally it certainly packed a punch.
June in Oz

Eric S. said...

I don't think I would want to be in his shoes either.s The expectations have to be intimidating as all get out.s I just hope that people understand things are going to take time.s He still has to deal with the buracracy that has been well entrenched for so long.s I supose we will see just how good a "salesman" he is, for he will have to sell each of his ideas to both branches of government, while carefully passing around the bipartisan platter.

Eric S. said...

Lilly, you should break out that poetry book, and share some of those.s You may find some that get a tremendous response from your readers.s
s
I am still having problems with this darn thing.s It was real easy to load, but getting it configured is the problem.

Eric S. said...

Hi June, I hope to get the time to go back and view the ceremony soon,s so far no luck.

Eric S. said...

Comment Luv was causing way too many problems, I had to shelve it for now.

the walking man said...

Poetry to the writer of it is art, yet if the reader of it can carry no concrete images away from it then it becomes too abstract in it's art.

Poets are the orphan children of the literary world until long after their demise...few gain any true measure of material gain from their words.

Yet to be read IS the reward so, at least for me and, I am certain others as well, if you read and do not see images from what I have written please tell me. How can I make something less abstract if it appears "right" to me?

Liara Covert said...

Your research always assists your readers in ways they do not expect. You uncover gems worth a peek! That is part of why we love you: your generous contributions to the world are so meaningful. You are grateful to encourage people to explore what is out there, things you continue o discover yourself. People learn dialogue has a very uplifting purpose. You get out of it what you choose. This relates to what effort you put into things.

Eric S. said...

@ The Walking Man, I understand what you mean. The whole thing is I'm so newly initiated to reading poetry, I still feel uncomfortable commenting. I can say that I am usually in awe of the poet for the true art they create with simple word.

@ Liara, Thank you, I try to find good sites. I hope people find them interesting, and worth exploring.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin