“Dona Nobis Pacem”

peace globe“Dona Nobis Pacem” - Latin for “Grant Us Peace”.  Today is the Blog Blast for Peace. It Seems entirely fitting after the events of the last few days.  We Americans, have a new president, and a strong and vibrant hope for the future.  No matter who you voted for, now is the time for us all to pull together, and fix the problems that weigh so heavily on all of our minds.   A solid proactive start was made by John McCain with the profoundly gracious concession speech he made.  These troubled times are going to require everybody to set aside petty differences, and work together to achieve an admirable goal. 

That is exactly how I see peace.  People working together, no matter their personal beliefs to achieve a common interest or goal.  To achieve peace it is going to require us all to take a step back, and open our minds to see the diversity, and accept each other without judgment.  If we accept each other, as we are, with compassion and understanding, we just might find out that everybody desires the same thing.  

I have been reading a lot of blogs lately that are talking about the uniqueness of the blogging community and the relationships we have.  I even made a post about it a little while back.  One of the comments, I believe it was form Jena Isle, mentioned that everyone should have a blog.  Perhaps then we could all realize that we are not that different.  The Internet, is a truly diverse community, and could very well be the way to get things rolling.  When you think about it, we talk with people from all over the world.  I have friends from other countries, provinces, and states.  It amazes me at times how much we all have in common.

I dream of a day when there is understanding, compassion, and peace world wide.  I don’t really believe it could happen within my life time, but I can dream of it for our children and their children's sake.  We have an opportunity to start some changes.  It is going to be up to us to follow through, and give our governments the chance to prove themselves.

Quote of the day:
Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Related articles by Zemanta
Enhanced by Zemanta

20 comments:

Alexys Fairfield said...

Hi Eric,
What a beautiful post. I hope this can be a time when all men come together in peace. A time when we can all prove what we are made of. A time when we can look at each other and see ourselves. A time of unity.

I thought McCain's speech was very touching too.

Lilly's Life said...

Excellent post Eric. Inspirational and a thought provoker. Things will move in the right direction but its about keeping the momentum going. I like Jenna's thoughts about everyone having a blog.

Kel said...

Amen brother, so mote it be.

The Grandpa said...

Nicely said, Eric. Let this be the moment.

maggie's mind said...

Nice post, Eric. Yes, there will be differences of opinion, and I realize that almost half of the country did not vote for Obama, but I do hope that we can all work together as much as possible to make things better. We need it.

Summer said...

Wonderful post, Eric. I couldn't agree more! I think Jenna's on to something. We all have something in common. It's just knocking down those barriers to get to know people to see. I'm new to blogging, but I'm seeing how great this vast community is. It's restoring my faith in mankind again!

LarryG said...

we have possibilities - time for the leaders of the nation to step it up and do what they were elected to do.

redchair said...

Hi Eric,
I agree with you 100%. Blogging actually seems to give us a clear idea of the real character of people and what’s going on in their head.

One of the first comments I received on my ‘happy day’ blog Wednesday was from someone who was quite disturbed about Obama’s win. They signed on ‘Anonymous’ and wrote a lengthy comment. I was stunned they’d choose a simple art blog for their extreme negative rant. I just deleted their comment, but left them a response: Basically- “Not on my blog, buddy!’

As Americans we have to come together now and focus on our country. Afterall- we are Americans! It’s a new day and we’ve got nothing but sunshine on the horizon.
Vikki

Not The Rockefellers said...

"The only real nation is humanity"- Dr. Paul Farmer

Peace - Rene

Eric S. said...

@ Alexys Fairfield, Thank you, yes indeed it is a time for all persons to come together. Think of the things we could accomplish.

@ Lilly, Thanks, yes it will be about keeping the momentum going. Isn't Jena such a smart person.

@ Kel, thank you I'm glad you agree, LOL.

@ The Grandpa, thanks and yes let it be the starting moment.

@ Maggies Mind, thanks, there is a lot of differences of opinion. I hope we can all get past them and better ourselves.

@ Summer, Thanks, You know knocking down those walls is one of the hardest things. I think the blog setting is perfect for it. Everyone gets their say, all they have to do is start a blog.

@ LarryG, Yes indeed, possibilities abound. I hope they can do all they promised but I'm not that naive. If we can just keep them focused on the important stuff we'll be doing good.

@ Vikki, I saw that comment, and figured you had a nut job visit. I don't understand why some people take these things so personally. I am really tired of the race issue, and wish it could be put behind us. Each candidate had their strong points and their weaknesses. But we the people voted, and the winner was Obama, that should be good enough for anyone. I'm breaking out my sunglasses for the bright beautiful sunshine on the horizon.

@ Not The Rockefellers, Very well said. nice quote.

Fickleminded said...

sending PEACE from my blog to yours. . .

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

Good thoughts on your blog blast for Peace post!
Sending *Peace*Love*Light* to ALL!!!

Terra Shield said...

Nice post. The internet is truly a wonderful place. Peace!

Kanani said...

Nice posts. I think one of the biggest obstacles we have to overcome in working with one another is cynicism, which prevents us from believing it's possible.

Peace to you, and thanks for this heartfelt post.

Michelle said...

Excellent post. All of the posts have been a delight, but some stand out as extra thought-provoking and inspiring - yours is definitely one of them for me.

Peace wishes to you! :-)

Dianne said...

I truly hope that the 'glow' from election night doesn't wear out. That we all keep moving forward the way we did during the campaign.

And that those who did not vote for Obama can/will come along to - and be welcomed.

Eric S. said...

@ FickleMinded, Thank you and Right back at ya.

@ Patty, thank you, and yes peace to all.

@ Terra Shield, Thanks, isn't it though. Such diversity, and so many don't even realize it.

@ Kanani, Thank you and your right of course. Cynicism is going to be a problem. We'll just have to prove to people it is possible.

@ Michelle, Why thank you, I appreciate the compliment.

Dianne, Me too, I guess we'll just have to keep it alive and in the forefront.

Mimi Lenox said...

Eric,

Thank you so much for blogging for peace today. Welcome to the movement. I agree that everyone should have a blog! You are so right about the friendships and commonalities from across the world. We truly are more alike than different.

Peace to you and yours,
Mimi

Travis said...

Peace to you and yours.

Eric S. said...

Mimi, Thank you for starting the whole thing.

Travis yes peace to all.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin