Silence, Is It Really Golden?

Water Lily Reflections
Image by Stellas mom via Flickr
While researching blogs for my Mondays Writers of the Web, I came across a blog called Okay, Fine, Dammit.  I have been by this blog a number of times, and she had been writing a lot about finding her voice.  Well, I think she has found it.  I’m going to dedicate this whole post to her blog, because  I think what she is starting is truly important.  She is going to open up a new blog, dedicated to Domestic violence victims

During my 9 years in law enforcement, I saw with my own eyes, the damage domestic violence can do.  It is not just the primary victim of the violence, weather it be mental or physical violence.  The entire family, kids along with the primary victim suffer the consequences.  The children of domestic violence families suffer some of the most severe forms of mental abuse you can imagine.  Seeing their parent being hurt in any number of ways by another parent.  I can not begin to think of the contradiction and confliction this causes in their minds. 

Domestic Violence is often called the silent crime, because the victims live in a state of fearful silence.  Afraid to talk to anyone, for fear of retribution from their abuser.  Afraid of being ostracized by their friends or community.  Fear of losing the only thing they know as family.  Just simply fear, what a terrible way to have to live.  Both women and men suffer from domestic violence.  Victims of domestic violence come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and socio economic backgrounds.  It is usually developed from a pattern of abuse.  The good news is the pattern can be broken.  It takes people speaking out, making the public aware, and giving victims the strength to reach out for help.

Maggie at Okay, Fine, Dammit is looking for naming ideas for her new blog.  The name needs to be catchy, but easily remembered, and can not already be trademarked or copywrited.  Think up some names, and go to this article to leave your suggestion, and to tell her you support her.  Lets help her tell everyone that love shouldn’t hurt!

13 comments:

The Grandpa said...

Eric, thanks for an important post. I tried to follow the links, but for some reason I couldn't get to it. I'll try later.

confused said...

great post on a subject that is not talked about enough...

Sandee (Comedy +) said...

This is indeed a horrible problem. I too have seen first hand the horror. Silence is not the answer in this case. Have a great day. :)

Phoenix said...

a very relevant post... thanks for the link will surely look it up

LceeL said...

I have seen abuse first hand .. not physical, emotional. And the bruises left are just as pronounced as those one can see, but they run deeper, much deeper. One wonders where love goes, when it's replace by spite and hateful words and vicious efforts at control. One wonders ....

Eric S. said...

@ The Grandpa, I tried the links, and they seem to work. Her page has gotten a huge workout, and may be a little slow.

@ Confused, Thanks and yes the subject has been silenced all too well.

@ Sandee, thanks for the comment, you are right, silence is not the answer. That is why I like Maggie's idea.

@ Pheonix, No problem, she has a nice site, and is trying to get the new blog figured out.

@ Lou, you are so right. The physiological abuse left far more serious wounds and bruises that the physical. Yes indeed one does wonder, the corrupted view of love that is learned by many abusers I think is a big part of the problem. Love should never hurt anyone.

Maggie, Dammit said...

Wow, I am blown away by this post! I can't thank you enough for supporting me and this cause like this. What a kind, good soul you are. I appreciate this so very much! :)

Vixen said...

Oh you found Maggie, isn't she fantastic. I saw her post this morning about the new site and I am very impressed with her use of her significant talent. Unfortunately, I am crappy at naming things...

Ummm, tell Blinda to cuddle the puppies for me (I don't want you to get nipped again)

Eric S. said...

Hello Maggie, I must say that I find your idea to be amazing and wonderful. I want you to know that I will help you in any way I can, All you have to do is ask.

Vixen, yes she is fantastic. I have enjoyed her blog for some time. Now I have a reason to respect it and her.

I'll tell Blinda, LOL. Sable is not all that mean, she just lets me know to watch what I'm doing when ti comes to her puppies.

tashabud said...

Hello Eric,
I sure will visit her site. It's kind of ironic to read about domestic violence because I just finished taking an online class on domestic violence as part of our continuing education at work. Even though we don't have direct contact with patients who are involved in domestic violence, we're still required to take the course.

Tasha

tashabud said...

She's picked the winning name. Good for her.

tasha

Eric S. said...

Tasha, I didn't know she had picked a winner yet, I'll have to go check. It's still good they give you training on it even if you don't deal with the victims ever. The training I'm sure is still useful.

June Saville said...

Eric you are such a wonderful mixture. Compassionate one moment macho the next, generous, philosopher ...
That's why I keep dropping in.
June in Oz

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin