I Long For These Silent Sleepy Saturday’s

Snap-Apple Night by Daniel Maclise portrays a ...
Image via Wikipedia
Yes indeed, I am having a wonderful silent, sleepy Saturday.  I slept in till 9:30, and feel so refreshed because of it.  The neighborhood is a bustle with activity, cleaning, fixing, and yard work.  I do so enjoy a Saturday when everyone is out and about, and there is no rumbling, blaring  music, just the soft musical tones of activity from neighbors.  

I think it’s time to get into the Halloween spirit, I know, a little late.  We used to decorate the house, and set up fun, spooky things to scar the kids.  I had kind of let that go by the wayside for the past few years.  Perhaps it’s time to re-vitalize my love for the eve of haunting. 

One nice thing about living down here in Texas is, the weather is far better for the kids out trick or treating.  I can remember having to bundle up so much that the use of a costume was nearly impossible,  I said nearly.  It was not uncommon to have a couple feet of snow, or temperatures in the negative degree.  The kids could be very creative with their costumes, and it was always great fun to answer the door to find a whole passel of ghosts, goblins, witches, and monsters, all swaddled in warm clothes, waiting with bated breath to see what treat they would receive.

In my youth, the community would have a huge Halloween party at the County Fair Barn.  there would be all sorts of fun and games.  I am curious just who used to organize those parties.  I know they have not happened for a few years now.  There were activities such as bobbing for apples, and ghost stories told by the older kids.  And of course always food, lots and lots of food. A great diversity of flavors, aromas, and textures.   Each family would bring a dish or two, I don’t think anyone ever left hungry nor with energy to spare.

My siblings and I would go trick or treating the night of  Hallows Eve, spend what seemed to me, hour upon hour visiting houses, collecting our sugary bounty.  There were certain houses we all knew where the treat was spectacular, and they were always visited first.  When I look back now, I find it amazing that we could just about cover the whole town in one night, not that it was a large town. 

There were the fabled haunted houses,  the Hand Hotel and the museum, that were rumored to be the resting place of a myriad of ghost and other hauntingly spooky creatures.  Carefully planed, usually by Kel our dramatic oldest sister, visits to these places were always in order.  By the time we returned home, there was candy and goodies to last a illusory lifetime.

We shall see what happens this year, and maybe discover some of the more interesting kids in the neighborhood.  The hard part is the dogs, we will have to decide how to handle this, for they can be slightly disruptive.  Many of the little kids are afraid of them even though all the dogs want to do is play with them. 

I took a walk around the neighborhood last evening, and made a point of  saying hi to everyone.  Some looked at me as if I was a creature from another universe.   I suspect they are not used to it yet, but I have time.  I plan on making a regular stroll through the streets, maybe get people used to seeing me and hearing me greet them.  Then I can work my way up getting to know more of them, and what they are about.  How is your community today?


Related articles by Zemanta
Enhanced by Zemanta

16 comments:

derfina said...

Beautiful Saturday here in the river! Love your site.

confused said...

now tyhaty took me down memory lane..:)

I still can't get into the swing of sleepy Saturdays..old habits die hard I was up at 6..I think I need to practice..:))

AirmanMom said...

This is my first visit to your blog and I found this post to be delightful!
I'll be back to *rad* you again soon!


~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

the walking man said...

In Detroit Eric, we don't participate as a rule in holidays and we don't do the community gathering thing.

Only very few put up lights and decorations or pass out any candy and even fewer kids come around looking for it.

No one wants strangers on their property and even more so do not want to be opening doors to those strangers. This "common" sense has evolved from home invasions and devils night.

Now if someone in the city goes to the trouble of buying a costume they will, as circumstances allow, get to a wealthier suburb and beg there.

June Saville said...

Well done Eric - community in action!
June in Oz

Eric S. said...

@ Confused, thanks. Good luck with that practice;) I worked night shift 6:00 to 2:00 AM for 6 to 8 years. My body still won't let me go to sleep before midnight, usually 2:00 AM.

@ AirmanMom, Thanks for the visit. your welcome anytime. Just come on in and make yourself at home. I enjoy your blog also.

@ The Walking Man, I must say that is terrible. Crime like that is exactly why there are community problems in the world.

I'm so sorry for the children around there, for they are missing out on some wonderful traditions, and fun times.

@ June Saville, Thank you June in Oz.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the memories you evoke! I do so miss the feel of a community where we were safe and never scared.

Maybe I'll go walk around the neighborhood today ;)

Tinaleigh

Liara Covert said...

it can be perplexing to realize some people choose not to meet, greet or know anyone in their neighbourhood. I met a women who lived in her apartment building forty years and had few friends and acquaintances by choice. She only knew one other person in her building. That was her choice. You can choose to know others, but what about how well you choose to know yourself?

Kel said...

Now that's what I call putting ideology into action. Keep it up Rico, like water in a stream, you'll shape the stony ones slowly, but surely.

Yup, we did not realize how good we had it in that town. I can't ever remember the folks locking the doors at the house. We kids ran hither & yon, freely, without worry of "bad people." I even had to go to the next county to get into trouble in high school (I'd try to kick up my heels in the Park, but some older person would always come along and insist on giving me a "lift home." Sigh . . .

I have my "graveyard" out under the olive tree, and skeleton's dancing hand in hand dangling from the limbs of the tree. Lots of spiderwebs across bushes and in the tree. And a really cool monster spider web dead center in the tree lit a spooky purple.

For many years now I've added "Celtic New Years" celebrations in to my "All Hallows Eve" framework. I don't spend much time scrying, but always reach for a bit of discipline to scry that evening . . . fishing for images of the coming year, and listening for whispers from those loved ones who've crossed ahead of me into SummerLand, or back onto the Great Wheel.

And, of course, I LOVE spending the whole day in costume. There was one year, at PSI back in the '90's, when my friend (Jim Kluksdahl) that developed MS was still working, though from a wheelchair, and I went in to work in full costume and makeup as a Vulcan Diplomat, T'Kel, attempting to make first contact (mutant pumkin ackwardly presented to all passers by).

I got the idea from a really wierd gray/green pumpkin that I'd seen at the grocery store. I retained my cool, logical, distant, Vulcan persona all day ~ even though Jim was bound and determined to make me crack (setting boobie traps to try to startle me, cracking really bad jokes, staging a mock exorcism hilariously, etc). Jim and I laughed about that day together for a long time.

Last year I spent the day as a "Vam-Pirate." Ahoy thar matey, is that a spar in y'er pocket, or arrr ye happy tay see me? [Fangs gleaming]

Haven't decided what this year will be yet.

Eric S. said...

@ Tinaleigh, Hey sis, Nice to see ya again. Yes I miss that community of old, I am not sure we will ever get it back, but I'm going to try to make a change around here. It's not as small a community as Fairplay, but it is country in heart.

@ Liara Covert, I agree, it is sad that people make that choice not to be a part of society. I used to be very reclusive, but to tell the truth this blog has been changing me quite a bit. I am more open and outspoken, and am learning new things about myself all the time.

@ Kel, Your dramatic nature has always made itself known. I remember your costumes, and Love the picture you sent me of you dressed up as the Vulcan T-Kel.

Even now, that little town has change, but not changed if that makes any sense. I know I had locked my doors, but that was because of the line of work I was in. I always felt safe there.

tashabud said...

I'm glad you got your badly needed sleep. It's good too that you're getting around your neighborhood to get to know your neighbors, especially if you have your Chihuahua's with you, people are easily drawn and start conversing.
Yes, indeed, kids there will have it better, weather wise and temperature wise. Thanks for sharing more of your childhood memories. All wonderful stories you have.

Tasha

Eric S. said...

Yes indeed, the temperature is far warmer down here. We had it pretty good when we were kids, and I have finally gotten comfortable with sharing some of those stories.

I'm hoping to loosen a few people up around here, and try to get everybody working together in these trying times. I wish I could walk the Chi's, but there are so many free roaming dogs in the neighborhood, I am afraid one of my kids might get hurt. Maybe my efforts can help change that unpleasant characteristic of my neighborhood.

soulMerlin said...

Isn't Summerland a wonderful term...

...people are strange. I went to a cashpoint last night, two guys were also approaching (don't worry, it wasn't Inverness) and as we were going to get to the cashpoint at the same time, I smiled and said something like "Hey it's the rush hour here, is this bank going bust as well" at the same time gesturing for them to go first (which they did with no thanks or acknowledgement that I even existed)

We live in a frightened society in the UK...the only thing we can do is to continue to be friendly and hope it rubs off on people.

Your posts have real atmosphere Eric...thanks for the read.

henry

Eric S. said...

Henry, I think that is the general social state around the world. But yes indeed, we can continue being nice, and changing things one person at a time. Thanks for the compliment

Kel said...

Hmmm . . . Rico, Henry, did y'all see the movie "V for Vendetta?" Now, I'm not saying it was the best of movies . . . but is was an interesting "what if" scenario development about the trends around the world (at least in the industrialized nations); fear of strangers, fear of Government, fear of self . . . [shivers in horror] F-k that, we just mustn't go there!

Henry ~ yes, I do love the thought of SummerLand, and the "Isle of Apples" . . . and the warrior in my nature thrills to the concept of Valhalla . . .

Eric S. said...

Warrior Kel, No I haven't seen that movie. I guess maybe I should add it to the must see list.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin