Lone Survivor, a Book Review

I just finished another new book, as a mater of fact its the one that caused me to be late for Mondays Writers of the Web post. It’s always enjoyable to find another new author, and especially when your not expecting it. I have a love for military stories, and a ferocious appetite for anything about the current conflicts.

Lone Survivor, the eyewitness account of operation Redwing and the lost heroes of SEAL team 10. The author is the lone survivor of this ill fated mission in Afghanistan, Marcus Luttrell, . This particular mission happens to be the worst combat loss in the history of the SEAL’s. They lost 3 men on the ground and a full team, helicopter and crew during a rescue attempt. It is every bit as good as Black Hawk Down, just as intense, and surprisingly emotional.

Luttrell starts his story at the end, while he is flying around and visiting the family members of the team he fought with and lost. It is a heart breaking, eye opening story of what they thought, felt and went through on those remote high mountain reaches in Afghanistan. Get to know the men he fought beside, and learn about their heroic acts that saved him.

You will find yourself caught up in the drama and tragedy of the story. Luttrell recounts everything, right from his first desire to become a U.S. Navy SEAL, all the way up through the the desperate, violent firefight between 4 SEALS and a force of between 140 and 200 Taliban fighters. Experience the boredom leading up to the action, and the fierce fast paced action that cost them three very brave men. Luttrell then takes you with him as he escapes and evades the Taliban fighters, with the help of local Pashtun Tribal leaders.

If you read with an open mind, you may even find yourself questioning the rules of engagement our fight men and women are required to follow. Rules written and forged by politicians sitting behind desks of air conditions comfortable offices thousands of miles from the action. This book has been one of the best recent combat recounting's I have read in some time. You’ll find yourself understanding what these men go through, and the intense training required to prepare them for situations such as these. You will also find yourself amazed at the heroic nature and the selflessness required to do what they do.

10 comments:

Lilly's Life said...

Eric - I keep having trouble opening your site with IE - has anyone else reported the same?

ShawnD said...

Yeah just to say that one of them made it shows how well their training paid off. Remember that one of those Navy Seals is probably worth about fifty of those Taliban grunts. It's a case of quality, not quanity, I'll have to check it out because if you say there is action that gets you going then that's my kind of book.

Eric S. said...

Lilly I am working on that issue, I don't know what is going on but have been having trouble for a few weeks now.

Shawn its an excellent book well worth the time

googleholic said...

hi,...i'm follow your blog,...
would you follow my blog,too??/
thanks

Kel said...

Lilly ~ I am experiencing repeated failures from IE when trying to click in. Some days I give up, some days I get in after 3 or 4 attempts.

Rico ~ Is there another path in, other than IE, for your only moderately computer literate elder sister to take? P.S. The book sounds intereseting. I think I'll pick up a copy to put in Dom's next care package.

Eric S. said...

Kel and Lilly, I'm changing templates again tonight and losing some widgets. Should make things work better. I use Fire Fox, and did not find out about the problems until I started trying to load it from work.

Googleholic, No problem, I'll check you out and follwow.

Kel said...

Whooo, VERY dramatic. Opened just fine this time.

Eric S. said...

Amazing what a change of clothes will do huh.

Kel said...

Yeah . . . I remember quite fondly the night (18 yrs ago) that I donned the much too tight, much too short, deliciously decadent dark blue velvet dress, with CFMs in gorgeous bronze lace and bronzed leather, and large bold bronze and crystal chandelier earrings, and "officially" announced my status as newly "single" and on the hunt.

Aaaaaah, yes . . . . THAT was a memorable change of clothes. LOL *wink*

Eric S. said...

Kel, I'm sure that was memorable. Now is that the night you you met RandDawg?

I have a hard time picturing you on the "hunt". I'm sure you did not have to stalk very hard.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin