Greed, Showing it’s Ugly Head

As Mother Nature unleashes her fury on the Texas coast,  evacuations caused by Hurricane Ike are widespread.  People are fleeing the coastal areas, I don’t blame them, and heading north.  As these people are dealing with this disaster that will most likely have long term effects on their lives, others seem to have decided to profit from their misfortune.

I noticed today as I was going around completing my Friday errands, a widely varying price range for gas.  The prices ranged from $3.49 to $3.99 within a two block area.  How is it possible that the price can vary so drastically.  I have even heard of, but not seen with my own eyes, gas at $5.00 a gallon.  It stinks of price gouging to me!  What upsets me the most, is that right now people are having to “run for their lives”  but the gas stations seem to be taking advantage.  I say the gas stations because of the widely varying price, if it were the oil companies the price would be consistently high.

I have nothing but respect for those who keep their prices low while these hurricane refugees have to make their escape.  I also hope the others, who I have many descriptive words for, have serious trouble sleeping.  This is a time when people should be helping each other out, not trying to profit from their misfortune. 

We are far enough from the coast, that we do not have to worry about the worst part of the storm.  The news says we will have winds up to 60 mph tomorrow, and a little bit of rain, but most of the storm will be towards the east of us.  There are parts of North Texas that will have issues with flooding and hurricane force winds, but not us.  I know what that kind of wind is like, but to have 6 – 12 inches of rain along with it would be a little difficult.

I am also amazed that up to 2,000 people have reportedly decided to stay in the Galveston area.  I don’t think I would stick around for a couple of reasons.  One is obvious, the National Weather Service has said that Galveston residents are assured of serious damage and death.  Secondly, by staying there, they are actually going to put rescue workers in imminent danger.  When everything goes wrong they will call for help, and I’m sure everything possible will be attempted, the rescue workers and first responders will go out because it is their nature.   I hope things play out for the better, but Galveston Island is going to basically be completely under water, and hammered by sever winds. 

I wonder how bad New Orleans is going to be affected.  I’m sure they will get something, and after Katrina, the last thing they need is more flooding.

Technorati Tags: ,

5 comments:

Jena Isle said...

You know Eric, during the Mt. Pinatubo eruption here in the Philippines, the same thing occurred with public utility vehicles. We thought of the same thing, unscrupulous people taking advantage of the situation. How were they able to sleep at night?
But there are very good people too. We could not cross the raging current then and he invited us to his house for free... calamities like these bring out the good and bad in people. I pray for you there. Hope everything will get better. God bless.

Lilly's Life said...

Hi Eric, my thoughts are with everyone in Ike's path - stay save! Yes and greed is evil, just evil.

Kel said...

There will always be those few of little moral spine, shallow and essentially worthless folk, who will take advantage of calamity to advance their own wealth by taking advantage of the temporary weakness of others.

But I firmly believe that for every miserable cad out there, there are hundreds of quietly brave, and quietly heroic and giving people. The following quote is voiced by George Eliot in the book, "Middlemarch" (Mary Ann Evans):

"For the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who live faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs."

Eric S. said...

That's a good quote Kel, and I agree with you, but unfortunately the miserable cads seem to steal the spot light. But then that is their nature, as it is the nature of the heroic to shy away from publicity.

Eric S. said...

Jena, the public service vehicle were taking advantage, that's pitiful.. I'm glad you had people out there to help you and others. The bad part is we seem to remember the "wrong" done to us or others more than the good. I guess its because that dam emotion of anger is so powerful.

Thanks Lilly, it missed our area, we only got a little rain. I have seen some of the news coverage from the coast though and it's not pretty

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin