Wordy Wednesday, Maybe a Meme

As I have been trying to improve my writing, I thought up an idea for a Meme.  I'll post the past 7 words of the day by Dictionary.Com.  You can pick a word, and leave me a comment informing me of the word.  I then must go to your blog, and leave a comment using the word you choose for me.  It can be the word you choose or a similar word with the same or relative meaning from the Thesaurus.
The challenge for me, is that the sentence or paragraph will have to relate to your most recent post.  Anyone who wants to join in can copy the Meme and rules and post them on heir own site.  You don't Tag anyone, but if they want to play along, their welcome.
Words of the day.
1.   chichi
\SHEE-shee\, adjective:
Affectedly trendy.
2.  enervate

\EN-ur-vayt\, transitive verb:
1. To deprive of vigor, force, or strength; to render feeble; to weaken.
2. To reduce the moral or mental vigor of.
3.  provenance

\PROV-uh-nuhn(t)s\, noun:
Origin; source.
4.  exalt

\ig-ZOLT\, verb:
1. To praise, glorify, or honor.
2. To heighten or intensify.
3. To raise in rank, character, or status; as, "exalted the humble shoemaker to the rank of King's adviser."
5.  tittle-tattle

\TIT-uhl TAT-uhl\, noun:
1. Idle, trifling talk; empty prattle.
2. An idle, trifling talker; a gossip.
6.  vexillology
  \vek-sil-AHL-uh-jee\, noun:
The study of flags.
7.   asperity
\as-PAIR-uh-tee\, noun:
1. Roughness of surface; unevenness.
2. Roughness or harshness of sound; a quality that grates upon the ear.
3. Roughness of manner; severity; harshness.
Now all you have to do is pick your word, leave me a comment, and sit back and watch me struggle to be creative.  Who knows it may be good for a laugh or two at my expense.

12 comments:

Kel said...

Hmmm . . . well . . . as I don't have a blog of my own, I think I'll "borrow" my step-daughter Julie's blog for your exercise:

http://blahdiblah.blogs.com/blahdiblah/

And the word I choose for you is: asperity

Its a great word for pronunciation fun (you can do wonderful hissing things with the "asp" portion of it, and drop all sorts of nuances upon the "er", and ya just gotta luv "t" for its crisp bite).

And as a "character" descriptive its grand! Makes me think of Grandma Schweer ~ LOL !!!

Eric S. said...

Kel, challenge accepted and duty performed however distressing it may be to poor Julie.

Lilly's Life said...

Eric, what fun this is. I choose Chichi - I love saying this word!! Affectedly trendy - when I say the word I think Paris, froufrou, french poodles or such! Seeing you already posted a comment on my last post you might like to wait until my next one which should be sometime soon if I get time. Great idea and it helps my vocabularly too!!

redchair said...

Hi Eric,
I choose 'provenance' from your list.

But- I'd like to come up with my own word for you to deal with. Now that could be really challenging, huh? He. He.
Vikki

Jena Isle said...

Hello Eric, wow, your site has a new look. I like most especially the header. Is this a real picture of the mountains where you live? It's wonderful.

I don't know anything about fixing templates, (that's why up to now, my "a campaign .." has not been aligned yet.

Good luck.

Kel said...

LOL!!!! Way to go, that was funny.

I don't know if you'll be interested or not, but following here is the address for Julie's items on her blog that she's marked as "political." I think she has a strong, straight-forward writing style. Her blog is mostly stuff that is specific to her family and friends, but when she gets worked up on a subject I'm always fascinated. And She does a good film review! I've posted a few things there as a "Guest Author."

http://blahdiblah.blogs.com/blahdiblah/political/index.html

Hugs

ShawnD said...

I pick asperity, you won't have any trouble using it on my newest post I hope.

Thyme2dream said...

Oh this is a fun game! I will choose one no one else has yet, enervate.

soulMerlin said...

enervate is great Thyme. It became very fashionable in London theatre circles, about 6 or 7 years ago....it's subsided now.

Eric...you're really bright; I read your word list in uncomprehending admiration.

My word for you (apart from brilliant) is

Paradox - or Paradoxically

henry

Eric S. said...

Lilly, Vikki, ShawnD, Thyme2Dream, and Soul Merlin

Ok everybody, I hit each site and get to work.

Jena, I worked for a long time on this, and I will probably end up having to change it again if I can't get the problem with paragraghs figured out. Thank you

Kel, I'll go check it out.

Jena Isle said...

I'll pick this up...and post it in my site...see you there...in my Gewgaw site. Happy blogging.

Jena Isle said...

By the way, I pick the word "VEXILLOLOGY" (lol). All the best.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin