Stop watching the speedometer, and start enjoying the scenery.

If you read the About Author section, you know that I spent a period of my life as a Police Officer. During that time I had a number of occasions when people would make the most unusual comments or do the most unbelievable things. Oh the stories I could tell, it is not good to know too much about another person's life when you live in a very small town. Many of these stories I will probably never tell, much to the chagrin of many of my friends, some things should not ever be revealed.

There are a few stories, mostly from traffic stops that have a comical basis, and some that after reflection relate to life. One in particular I was thinking of today, why I have no idea. When I stopped an older couple for going through town at 55 MPH, it's a 25 MPH zone. The old man was very nice and apologetic, but the violation was too great for a warning. Now the old man who was driving, was probably in his 80's, and was sitting there listening to me, but saying "yes dear" to everything his wife was saying. She was talking the whole time in a condescending tone and manner to her husband. I'm not sure he even really heard what she was saying. As I was explaining the citation to the gentleman, his wife who was also in her mid 80's, started in on me. She had one of those little old lady voices that people are always mimicking.

"Now see here sonny, I was watching the speedometer the whole time, and we never once went over 55 MPH".

"That's nice Ma'am I appreciate you watching so closely, but I stopped you for going 55 MPH in a 25 MPH zone."

"What 25 MPH zone, I didn't see one?"

"Through that town you just drove through"

"What town, we haven't gone through any town?"

"Ma'am if you will look over your right shoulder, you can see the town you just came through."

"I will not, we did not come through any town that I saw."

"well Ma'am, I suggest that perhaps you should stop watching the speedometer, and start watching the scenery, and find out what you have been missing."

Now I'm not proud of making a smart ass remark, but at times I just can't help myself. I thought the old man was going to choke or have a heart attack right then. He told his wife to be quite, and that he would handle this. He got out of his car, and walked to the back to sign the ticket. He was grinning the whole time, and said

"Thank you son I'll be mailing in the fine, and just so you know it was worth every penny, you just made my day."

After so many years, I have finally figured out that there is a life lesson in this story. We should all quit watching the speedometer, and complaining about how fast life is passing by. We should start watching the scenery, and perhaps jump on the buss or train to join in.

Add to Mixx! Stumble Upon Toolbar Digg This Post

Technorati Tags:

5 comments:

tashabud said...

This story is very funny. I can vividly picture the scene and feel the frustration you might have felt on that particular time. I have to laugh more to find out that the husband had a field day with what you told his wife. Goodness, she must have been a total nag and controlling.

I want to tell you that I wrote a piece in my "Tasha's Take" site about you reviewing my novel.I hope you don't mind it. If after you read it and don't approve of it, just let me know and I'll take it out. Here's the link:

http://tashabud.blogspot.com/

livelife254 said...

Good one, Eric. It's not where you are heading that matters as much as enjoying the journey along the way...

peace,
Mike
livelife365

Jenaisle said...

Hi Eric,I came here to visit from Tasha's take...and I find your sites refreshing. The chihuahuas (Did I spell it right?) were so cute and now this very wonderful blog.

I agree that "we must stop watching the speedometer and watch the scenery instead."

At times due to our workload and the hurly-burly that goes on with our lives, we often forget to live life.

Thanks for that thought provoking and very enlightening post.

Keep posting.

Eric S. said...

Tashabud, thanks and yes it was frustrating, but comical at the same time. I read your post, and love it you did a great job. Remember the door is always open just come on in and make yourself at home.

Mike, thanks I have no idea why this memory popped into my head, but at least I realized it would be a good topic of discussion.

Jenaisle, your welcome any time, thanks for stopping by, I hope to add your site to my Monday Writers of the Webb. I found some very good reads at your site, love it.

Kj said...

That would make a great short film . . . I can see the moment so clearly in my mind. Nice set up and pacing to the close.
Hugs. The Elder Sister

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin