If You Had A Choice

I have an interesting, somewhat theoretical, question. This subject came up in a Plurk thread the other night, and received a large amount of varied response. The question is, If you were given the choice between getting all the money you have wasted back, or all the time you have wasted back, which would you chose. You can only have one or the other, not both.

Sadly I had to think about this for a moment. I should have been able to answer without thought. The simple fact that I had to actually contemplate my response continued to bother me. What I choose was time. Thinking back to all the time I have wasted throughout my life, I would much rather have it back than the money. I have to admit there was quite a bit of money wasted also, but I feel the time wasted was more tragic, and far more valuable.

To get that wasted time back would mean being able to correct those mistakes I had made, and there are plenty of them. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we should get do overs, second chances are alright, but not do overs. It goes back to those Five Playground Rules to Live By. Just think of all the good you could do, time you could share with loved ones. Then again, I would not have learned those important things in life without wasting the time I have wasted. Perhaps the time was not wasted at all. Such an unusual and complex question when you really look at it.

Perhaps I have been contemplating things just a little too much.

Tell me what you would choose. Feel free to think about, I did.

Add to Mixx! Stumble Upon Toolbar Digg This Post

Technorati Tags:

7 comments:

tashabud said...

Well...I had to think just for a few minutes, but come to think of it, I don't think that I had wasted much time throughout my life. I suppose, if blogging is considered a waste of time, then in that case, I have been wasting so much time lately rather than spending time crafting my novel or doing my house chores. Hehe. But my argument to this is that I'm not really wasting time, because blogging is helping me improve my writing skills as a writer. Therefore, I probably would choose money. However, if given the choice between money and more time in a day everyday, I'd surely choose more time in a day everyday. This would allow me to accomplish things I'd like to accomplish, allow more time to spend with loved ones, and more time to go places.

Alexys Fairfield said...

Hi Eric,
Great topic.

I am inclined to say time, but I don't think there is ever time wasted. We are each where we need to be whether it seems like we waste it, we're just adjusting our consciousness. Now money is another thing. When I think of all of the money I've wasted on seeing awful films, going to bad restaurants or buying shoddy products, I want to scream.

feefifoto said...

Time, time time! Without a doubt, I regret all the time I wasted looking for the wrong things, pining for the wrong person, wishing for the wrong road. Thanks goodness I came to my sense before it was irrevocably too late, but I'd love to have some or all of that time back so I could spend it more wisely.

Eric S. said...

Tashabud, I agree, blogging is not a waste of time, and am doing it for the same reason you are. I think I agree with you also about having more time in a day. More time to do all that needs to be done and still spend time with loved ones.

Alexys, I respect your outlook, it has to be far healthier way of looking at things. I'll keep adjusting my consciousness. Your post on Soul Meets World is very poignant to this topic, great quote.

Feefifoto, LOL, that is exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote this post. I too think I have come to my senses, at least somewhat.

coolingstar9 said...

If I have the choice, of course I would like to take back all the money I had wasted in the past.
But now I learn from the past experience and I would not repeat the same mistake again. Life has to move on, lets cheer up.
Have a wonderful life, your Bc friend coolingstar9

Jules said...

Hi Eric.
Tasha mentioned you and said we should drop by!
Funny you mentioned wasted money because I was wondering how much money hubby and I have wasted in just the 12+ years we have been together.

I agree with alexys f. I immediately thought there is no time wasted (in the big scheme of things). I am a believer that we are who we are because of the choices we make. I am so happy with my life that I can't imagine not being where I am right now.

It's not a bed of roses being me. It's just were God wanted me to be.

If I had all the money I wasted, I think every penny of it should go to charity! Thinking that if I wasted it then put it to good use!
I still waste money. That's something I need to change badly.

Great thought provoking post!
I will be back for sure!

Eric S. said...

Coolingstar9, Thanks for coming by. One side of me agrees with you. I would definitely like to have the money back. And the more I thought about it the more I realized the the time I considered "wasted" is indeed part of what has shaped me. So the more I think about the more I start to lean towards money.

Jules, That is a great idea. I'll go along with that, and want my money back to give to charity. If I wasted it, then let it go to good use. Thanks for coming by, and your welcome any time.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin